• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bob Farnham Rebuild

#1 User is offline   RS125mark 

• 125cc Sportsbikes Rider
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:38 PM

Not posted in here for a while so hello!

Had a rough running 04 rs that had lost some nikasil plating from the Motrac plated cylinder (still nobody knows why), 25 miles after the re-nikasil the front of the piston squashed the rings and kinda ate itself. So I assumed bottom end was shot, gave pjme a ring and the phone was put down on me when I tried to explain what I had found after splitting the cases (could've been dodgey phone signal, but I did probably sound like a clueless teenager in their defence). Gave Bob Farnham a ring and he's fairly local to me so he said to run it down so he could take a look, left it with him and he rebuilt the crank fitting new rod and bearings, cleaned up the cylinder and exhaust port profile, supplied a vertex piston to fit, fitted new bearings and seals as well as new gaskets all round and put it all back together for me ready to be put back in the bike all for £275! He mentioned changing the pilot jets as the standard ones make the bike run far too lean when backing off the throttle. So today I phoned PJME to ask if they knew what the standard size would be so I could order a some bigger ones. Was told that there is no standard size and that it could be anything... pretty sure Dellorto must fit every rs125 phbh28 carb with the same jets as standard. Just spoke to Bob and he said it would have a 62 pilot jet and that there would be 2 of them in there and upper and a lower and to change both straight to a 70, even told me where to get them.

So thought I'd give him a recommendation on here to anyone needing advice or work doing, as he sorted me right out with my engine and turned it round for me in a week and he clearly knows his way around an rs125 and is a genuinely nice and helpful fella too! Also he isnt even expensive considering 2 years ago I paid £350 for a re-nikasil and full rebuild kit including vertex piston from Motrac Racing and I waited around 3-4weeks for it too

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• 125CCSportsBikes.com

#2 User is offline   AF1 Replica 91 

• PipPip

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:03 PM

So was it a dodgy signal or did they put the phone down? It's not really fair to say someone put the phone down on you if you're not sure!

#3 User is offline   RS125mark 

• PipPip

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:21 PM

Well the signal on my end of the line was good so I'm pretty sure it was put down, I was just showing I was aware that it could have been a signal problem or something that cut the line. I still order from PJME as their service with deliveries is excellent and their prices are reasonably good.

#4 User is offline   cagman 

• 125cc Sportsbikes Team Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:41 PM

cue paul....lol....on another note that was a bargain of bob costs that in parts for a rebuild....how did he clean cylinder if coating was coming away just light marks?prob honed out?

#5 User is offline   RS125mark 

• PipPip

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:49 PM

I had already had Motrac re-plate it for me before it did the rings, luckily it didn't get damaged was just marked and the exhaust port profile was a bit out of shape, piston he fitted for me was 0.01 smaller than the one Motrac supplied me with, so he couldn't have honed it or anything like that. Really was a bargain though! Think he took pity on my student sized wallet!

#6 User is offline   cagman 

• 125cc Sportsbikes Team Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:15 PM

ha ha...does bob work alone?

#7 User is offline   RS125mark 

• PipPip

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:19 PM

I know he definitely has at least one person working for him as when my dad went to pick it up there was Bob and another mechanic there

#8 User is offline   charlie_o 

• 125cc Sportsbikes Mechanic
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:37 PM

Bob Farnham is a good guy, he racing tuned my aprilia rs250 and the work he did was spot on !

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users