Riding Advice (Rpm Range Setc) - 125cc Sportsbikes Forum

125cc Sportsbikes Forum: Riding Advice (Rpm Range Setc) - 125cc Sportsbikes Forum

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Riding Advice (Rpm Range Setc)

#1 User is offline   Lucas 

• 125cc Sportsbikes Novice
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 April 2021 - 01:09 PM

Hi,

I've got a fully derestricted Aprilia rs125 from 2005. When I bought it a year ago it had 25k km on the clock and a new top end (just completed run it - I was told). Last year I discovered and fixed various issues with the bike including a huge gash in the swingarm filled with some sort of putty (swingarm was replaced). Lack of the thermostat, PV blank (permanently open) was replaced with proper PV including the solenoid. The bike came with the oil pump disconnected. I have a new one, but I didn't fit it yet. Carb jetted as per the factory spec for a derestricted bike. Long story short it runs great now.

However, the more I use the bike the more confident I get to ride it fast. I read a lot of advice online saying "don't keep it at constant rpm for too long" or "don't ride on the motorway in the powerband". At the same time others say "I ride it on motorways all the time". So what is the truth? I use good fully synthetic 2t oil (Motul) at 35:1. At some point I'll probably fit the new oil pump as well,but that's a separate thing.

Probably 80% of my riding is on roads where I can safely do 65-75mph (110-140kmh) and that's my usual cruising speed. I spend most of the time in 5th gear at 10k-rpm. I don't engine break. When I want to slow down before a turn I use the clutch. The temperature is 65C in spring/fall and up to 75C in the summer. I always let it warm up before riding fast.

With my riding, should I adjust the service intervals for piston rings, and other engine components? I don't mind doing them more frequently, but I definitely want to avoid having it seize mid turn at 70mph. I've done about 3k km on the bike, maybe half riding as described above. Should I be opening the top end to look for signs of deterioration or can I leave it till 5k km?

What do you think? Am I risking seizing it every time I ride it or is this pretty much normal use? I weight 105kg so it is impossible for me to cruise at 65-70mph in the 6th gear at 7.5k rpm. There are too many hills where I live (they are not very steep, but steep enough).

#2 User is offline   thedots 

• Pip

Posted 22 April 2021 - 02:19 PM

generally i hear are also the same dont stick to one RPM for a long duration (which i also cant say how long is LONG),

Meanwhile where i stay in South East Asia, some of the 2Stroke bike are way pushed. like WOT for the 1hr till or till tank reach reaserve. abit 150~200km

me on the other hand on the RS125 ill maintain at the 8k and above but mainly ill be crusing at 8.5~9k rpm (about 110~120 kmh, gear 5 for like an hour or so about 5-7 times)

#3 User is offline   Lucas 

• Pip

Posted 24 April 2021 - 07:01 AM

Great thanks. Are you using the oil pump (as standard) or are you using premix?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users