Mito Air Box Snorkel Modification? - 125cc Sportsbikes Forum

125cc Sportsbikes Forum: Mito Air Box Snorkel Modification? - 125cc Sportsbikes Forum

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mito Air Box Snorkel Modification?

#1 User is offline   Fred Gwynne 

• 125cc Sportsbikes Novice
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 December 2020 - 03:27 PM

Hello all,

I will likely get my hands on a mito this coming week. I have done a reasonable bit of research on how to derestrict one. A new full exhaust and bigger carb will be installed but I'm lost on how to modify the air box. From what I understand the snorkel needs to modified in some way. Is it totally removed? Cut down somehow? Does anyone just sell a less restricted snorkel? Perhaps one designed for racing? Please help me out with this if you can. Thank you all very much!

#2 User is offline   Mitoreborn 

• Pip

Posted 13 December 2020 - 03:43 PM

What do you mean by "bigger carb"?

There are many variables here, first of all what year is your Mito? Most late Mitos in restricted version came with the DellOrto 28, you don't need a bigger carb to derestrict it, just change jets and adjust needle etc. plus make the specific changes in the airbox and exhaust, it's all well documented. If you mean instead that you want to go for a bigger aftermarket carburetor (F.e. DellOrto 32 or 34) or even the early Mito EVO Mikuni 35mm then you need a custom inlet from carb to airbox and likely a new airbox. Good luck finding those.

#3 User is offline   Fred Gwynne 

• Pip

Posted 14 December 2020 - 12:36 AM

View PostMitoreborn, on 13 December 2020 - 03:43 PM, said:

What do you mean by "bigger carb"?

There are many variables here, first of all what year is your Mito? Most late Mitos in restricted version came with the DellOrto 28, you don't need a bigger carb to derestrict it, just change jets and adjust needle etc. plus make the specific changes in the airbox and exhaust, it's all well documented. If you mean instead that you want to go for a bigger aftermarket carburetor (F.e. DellOrto 32 or 34) or even the early Mito EVO Mikuni 35mm then you need a custom inlet from carb to airbox and likely a new airbox. Good luck finding those.

By writing "bigger carb" I meant a carb that has a larger bore than the carb that is on the bike at the moment. I wish I didn't mention all of that other stuff. I understand carb adjustments. I should have just stated, "What is the specific change to be made to the snorkels inside a mito with an airbox restricted by those snorkels?" You're response says the "specific changes in the airbox" is "well documented". Please provide me a document/s that lists that specific airbox change. Just what to do with the restricting snorkels. That is really all I'm looking for. I've spent a legit amount of timing trying to find more about it but I've had no luck. Thank you very much.

This post has been edited by Fred Gwynne: 14 December 2020 - 12:40 AM

#4 User is offline   Fred Gwynne 

• Pip

Posted 14 December 2020 - 02:23 AM

For what it is worth the bike is a '95. This thread here, My linkhttps://www.trials-forum.co.uk/topic/112716-cagiva-mito/ , says to use bigger snorkels in the airbox lid. Is that true? Did the earlier Mitos have bigger snorkels? Thanks

#5 User is offline   BristolMito 

• Pip

Posted 14 December 2020 - 11:28 AM

Hi, I am after some advice.

I recently restored a MK2, which has got me the Mito bug.

I am currently restoring a 2000 Evo, 11,000 miles. It goes ok and would do about 85mph on the flat, but did feel a little strangled compared to the MK2 which had its engine rebuilt by Acme Motorcycles (legends).

I have checked the compression which was 60psi so obviously this is a major part of problem and the bike will get a new top end. I was expecting close to 150psi if it was in good condition.

When I took the airbox off, there was a home made metal plate that was almost completely blanking the inlet to the airbox. I have photo's but can't figure out how to post them here. It had closed off 95% of the inlet. I can only assume this was an effort to restrict the bike but can't for the life of me think why anyone would do this.

With the plate removed the whole inlet to the airbox is open, so clearly the engine is going to breath better now.

But the question is, would it still give full power and run better with a set of inlet "Bunny ears" fitted?

Anyone able to help? I am happy to email photos of the airbox restrictors that were fitted or post them here if someone can help with advice on how to do that.

#6 User is offline   Fred Gwynne 

• Pip

Posted 14 December 2020 - 07:20 PM

View PostBristolMito, on 14 December 2020 - 11:28 AM, said:

Hi, I am after some advice.

I recently restored a MK2, which has got me the Mito bug.

I am currently restoring a 2000 Evo, 11,000 miles. It goes ok and would do about 85mph on the flat, but did feel a little strangled compared to the MK2 which had its engine rebuilt by Acme Motorcycles (legends).

I have checked the compression which was 60psi so obviously this is a major part of problem and the bike will get a new top end. I was expecting close to 150psi if it was in good condition.

When I took the airbox off, there was a home made metal plate that was almost completely blanking the inlet to the airbox. I have photo's but can't figure out how to post them here. It had closed off 95% of the inlet. I can only assume this was an effort to restrict the bike but can't for the life of me think why anyone would do this.

With the plate removed the whole inlet to the airbox is open, so clearly the engine is going to breath better now.

But the question is, would it still give full power and run better with a set of inlet "Bunny ears" fitted?

Anyone able to help? I am happy to email photos of the airbox restrictors that were fitted or post them here if someone can help with advice on how to do that.

:laugh: This is the most confusing single cylinder 2 stroke bike that I have ever looked into. Can we just stick a YZ250 motor in it and call it a day? Just kidding of course.

#7 User is offline   BristolMito 

• Pip

Posted 15 December 2020 - 01:27 PM

Lets see if we can get a deal on two YZ engines. :thumbsup:

#8 User is offline   maddad 

• 125cc Sportsbikes Mechanic
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 December 2020 - 09:15 PM

Ran mine with the bunny ears and ran with the standard intake for 7 years the standard Intake works as well as any other ,the myth no pun intended is you have to mod an airbox that was designed for a motor is something that I see a lot over many bikes 4 stroke as well .I am beginning to believe it sometimes comes from a moto X background where you are constantly blipping the throttle and not riding like on the road ,that's why they all have a different set up .

#9 User is offline   Mitoreborn 

• Pip

Posted 16 December 2020 - 10:04 PM

http://cagivamitoevo...to-evo-125.html

#10 User is offline   maddad 

• 125cc Sportsbikes Mechanic
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 December 2020 - 07:33 PM

There is some good info on there ,I should have said the volume and back pressure inside is more important than a larger inlet the bunny ears don't give as much as they look like they do .That being said placebo effect is a cheap drug cleaning mine also made it go a lot faster.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users