• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Stator Cover Damaged

#1 User is offline   jones5563 

• 125cc Sportsbikes Novice
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 June 2020 - 07:04 PM

This is probably a silly question, but the stator cover on my mito evo 2 has damage of around an inch in length where it meets the casing. Every second hand cover I have seen on ebay has similar damage on the exact same place. So my question is, am I correct in assuming that this part of the cover is just particularly prone to breaking as its thinner than the rest, or is there supposed to be a hole here? Is this part of the engine completely dry anyway or is it usually full of oil? Cheers, Andy

#2 User is offline   strgr 

• 125cc Sportsbikes Rider
  • PipPip

Posted 23 June 2020 - 11:21 AM

View Postjones5563, on 22 June 2020 - 07:04 PM, said:

This is probably a silly question, but the stator cover on my mito evo 2 has damage of around an inch in length where it meets the casing. Every second hand cover I have seen on ebay has similar damage on the exact same place. So my question is, am I correct in assuming that this part of the cover is just particularly prone to breaking as its thinner than the rest, or is there supposed to be a hole here? Is this part of the engine completely dry anyway or is it usually full of oil? Cheers, Andy

Mine has the lower hole broken near chain. This was propably from overtighting bolt. Can you upload a photo?

This post has been edited by strgr: 23 June 2020 - 11:22 AM

#3 User is offline   jones5563 

• Pip

Posted 23 June 2020 - 02:37 PM

View Poststrgr, on 23 June 2020 - 11:21 AM, said:

Mine has the lower hole broken near chain. This was propably from overtighting bolt. Can you upload a photo?

Bit of a rubbish picture, but it seems to be in the same place on every replacement cover too!

Attached File(s)

#4 User is offline   strgr 

• 125cc Sportsbikes Rider
  • PipPip

Posted 23 June 2020 - 10:19 PM

View Postjones5563, on 23 June 2020 - 02:37 PM, said:

Bit of a rubbish picture, but it seems to be in the same place on every replacement cover too!

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

Mine is broken at red arrow (maybe it's in the same place as yours) but it doesn't cause any problem. As i check for a new one i found it about 50€ in
https://www.bike-par...otorcycle/price
Part code is 80B0 66847

This post has been edited by strgr: 23 June 2020 - 10:20 PM

#5 User is offline   MarcLee 

• Pip

Posted 27 June 2020 - 08:45 PM

Of the 3 engines I have, 2 are both broken at the same place, must be a weak point. My other engine doesn't have the separate cover at all, it's cast as part of the side cover for the engine/water pump.

#6 User is offline   Cagiva4ever 

• 125cc Sportsbikes Team Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted Yesterday, 06:19 PM

There is not a issue or any weakness on the Stator cover itself. but there is an issue since 1987 which never got fixed by Factory:

problem is at the plastic sprocket cover, in its metal Bushing at the corner that is under the Aluminium stator cover.

the metal bushing is too short by like 0,1mm or 0,2mm. when the "stator covers corner" over the sprocket cover is "over tightened" the bolthole ear bends and cracks of.

the metal bushing is integrated-build in at the plastic sprocket cover.

Cagiva factory never fixed the issue, afaik not even on Sp525S. issue has been there since 1987 (or 1985 since Aletta Oro S1)

very thin Shimm washer can cure the problem ,bought from Bearing shop........

a broken stator cover can be fixed, Cracked hole covered/filled with "liquid metal" etc in it mesh filling, a resonable sized hole fixed....
the broken of Corner is not Crucial to the engine's Crank-casings being together.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users