• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Trying To Resurrect My Mito

#1 User is offline   Mitoreborn 

• 125cc Sportsbikes Novice
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 June 2020 - 09:45 AM

So after 13 years of sitting in a garage under a plastic cover, I want to resurrect my Mito this summer but have some questions I hope you can help with.

Bike was stored by my brother (Who used it at the time and moved to a bigger one) with no special care, just parked in a garage in 2007 and covered, never restarted. I suspect the fuel tank will have loads of rust and most rubber lines/hoses as well as the internals of the Mikuni 35mm will be wasted by the fuel that was still in the tank. My basic plan is to drain and change all fluids (coolant, gearbox oil, brake fluid etc), new battery, new spark plug, lube chain and in general all joints, new tires, clean and oil the air filter and of course disassemble and clean exhaust valve and carb. The bike had a mere 11000 kms, fresh from the routine piston change (single ring) and was in perfect running order, nothing damaged or not working except some fairing scratches which is a purely cosmetic thing so I hope with all that it should restart.

So here are my questions:

1) What else besides what I listed should I do, did I miss something?
2) I suspect the plastic internals (floater) and rubber seals in the Mikuni might be wasted, where can I find restoration kits? No success so far in ebay :-(
3) Does the modern E10 fuel with ethanol eat the old rubber hoses, and where are alcohol resistant ones found? I have seen many videos of guys with 2T motocross bikes having nice colored special hoses in the engine but have no idea where to get them.

I'm located in the EU

Thanks for any help to keep one of this very special bikes alive.

This post has been edited by Mitoreborn: 28 June 2020 - 09:46 AM

#2 User is offline   Mitoreborn 

• Pip

Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:31 PM

Hummm anyone else? :ponder: Can someone point me to a Mikuni carb parts source? :twitch:

#3 User is offline   strgr 

• 125cc Sportsbikes Rider
  • PipPip

Posted 01 July 2020 - 08:04 AM

Imo this are the things i would do.
After so many years all seals due to parts non moving, will be dead or they will start leaking after the first engine-on.
So take out engine and replace bearings and seals (MUST DO).
Change piston and rings
Check at https://www.frankmxparts.com (this is where i shop for Mic/Keihin carb parts)
And after that enjoy Mito riding.
If there is rust in tank ,...., it's something you can deal with easily.
Check here for such cases or search for other ways

https://www.125ccspo...howtopic=146682

#4 User is offline   Mitoreborn 

• Pip

Posted 01 July 2020 - 03:15 PM

Thank you strgr that was useful!

Bearing and seals, you mean in ALL the engine, wow that is a crapload of work I guess. Also need to find someone who sells that. Will first clean carb change fluids and be sure it starts before diving into that. Bike was stored in a very dry place, so rust on the exterior is inexistant - the tank is likely another story, will check and use your method if needed. Pffff if mine wasn't such a rare bike I would start having second thoughts ...

#5 User is offline   strgr 

• 125cc Sportsbikes Rider
  • PipPip

Posted 01 July 2020 - 09:14 PM

View PostMitoreborn, on 01 July 2020 - 03:15 PM, said:

Thank you strgr that was useful!

Bearing and seals, you mean in ALL the engine, wow that is a crapload of work I guess. Also need to find someone who sells that. Will first clean carb change fluids and be sure it starts before diving into that. Bike was stored in a very dry place, so rust on the exterior is inexistant - the tank is likely another story, will check and use your method if needed. Pffff if mine wasn't such a rare bike I would start having second thoughts ...

https://pjme.co.uk/a...a_Mito_125.html
You may find a lot here

#6 User is offline   Mitoreborn 

• Pip

Posted 02 July 2020 - 04:34 PM

Awesome, thanks again man! Will try to get some pics after this summer if I manage to do it all.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users