125cc Sportsbikes Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hi are there ways of making the cbr 125 go faster and accelerate quicker ? someone told me you can do something with a power boand and changing it and you could get speeds of 90mph.

are all these upgraded exhausts and stuff worth it for a 125 or is it best to wait until i have done my full bike test and have a bigger bike ?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
LOL had to be a cbr owner to ask a question like that.

No mate, powerbands are on 2strokes. You have a 4 stroke, Simples. Do a bigger bike test or get a 2stroke.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hi are there ways of making the cbr 125 go faster and accelerate quicker ? someone told me you can do something with a power boand and changing it and you could get speeds of 90mph.

are all these upgraded exhausts and stuff worth it for a 125 or is it best to wait until i have done my full bike test and have a bigger bike ?
Hi
yes there are several mods you can do to make your cbr go quicker and it all depends on what you want to spend.

take it you need to stay at 125cc as you have not passed your test so the cbr 150 and like bore kits are out.

replacing the exhaust with a good aftermarket racing system can release extra power when done in balance with the carb re jetting or replacing the carb with a better model and tuning these.

you can also fit a race cam, high compression piston and even valve work.

the bike cdi can be replaced and you can go for a race cdi which will allow quicker pick up and remove limiter but you need to ask yourself why you need to ride past the limit?

doing all these mods and there are many more will get you up to about 23 to 25 bhp tops, and cost alot.

what ever you do needs to be done in balance with the rest of the bike.
my advice is save money pass your test and buy a 600.

Hope this helps

not mentioned any makes on purpose as i did not want to get into the this system is better than yours arguement.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Can you make it faster? YES. Is it worth it? NO

4 strokes have powerbands, try riding a tuned R6 and tell me they dont. All engines have an area of peak power, it just tends to be broader on a 4 stroke.

·
Forum Troll
3,926 Posts
lol dont listen to srt too much here is a pic of the powerband that you find in a 4 stroke.. unlike a 2stroke powerband its not a closed loop but there are diffrent variations

generally the stiffer they are the better performance there is but wears quicker :( few people on here have carbon bands

here is a website selling diffrent size bands but they all look fairly standerd

http://700r4-racing-transmission.com/700r4-transmission-bands.htm

·
Registered
10 Posts
im just wondering why everytime we ask for improvement of our bikes we always get an answer to get your test done,and have a bigger bike..well maybe im just lucky to be here in the philippines..because here we dont have a restriction for driver to drive specific displacement of the motor bike,as long as you know how to drive you're allowed to drive even the higher displacement, but they like to buy small one one modify it so it will be an underdog but has some hidden charge, 125 here can run 170kph, we need an idea to improve it,not a criticism for this beautiful cbr125, dont waste your time to say "pass your exam and get a bigger bike" i love to see a 125 passing into a cbr600: in my dreams: lol..^_^ let's just try to buy a PCV,K&N hi flow,racing exhaust,iridium spark plug,and lose your weight, you love the bike then we should be willing to spend for it"peace

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
But you could do ALL of the above that supersloath said and still only be putting out ~20HP if that tbh and it would still be slower than any bike that isnt <125cc... You'd be better off starting with a 2 stroke (i.e. RS125, Mito, etc) and modding that they are much more receptive to it.

CBRs are designed to run at 14HP its what Honda intended them to be used for, learning! So without spending quite a lot of money your stuck with 14HP.

Seriously, just buy a bigger bike or a 2 stroke.

·
125cc Sportsbikes Supporter
7,613 Posts
Get the head ported and polished, one of the single best things to do to the CBR, good gains and doesn't cost too much.

You could try a bigger flatslide carb and tune that up. Follow my thread in the pictures forum, I'll be tuning some engines over the winter.

·
125cc Sportsbikes Supporter
7,613 Posts
So? Anyone can spend a grand on a cheap 600, it will
be fun tuning them engines for racing just to see what we can get out of it.

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
But the OP hasn't wanted to use the bike for racing... (Or hasn't suggested it). I agree for racing then spending all that money on the CBR for a 125cc class would be good fun and probably very rewarding... However, for road riding where there is no class restriction then why spend all that money on something so pointless?

·
Registered
76 Posts
So? Anyone can spend a grand on a cheap 600, it will
be fun tuning them engines for racing just to see what we can get out of it.
I ride my partners CBR quite often and have a good laugh on it, I think the point is as Carlos says why not! Some may be surprised how easy and cheap it is to port and flow the head, re profile cams and re jet with a good exhaust and get quite good power for the money! It may surprise some people but some may just want to ride the CBR125 as they like the bike, I can whoop the sh*te out of some 600's on the lanes on the little 125 often, no no I'm not just saying it here on the forum it is for true, its not all down to power but the CBR could do with an edge from stock, I am going to pull the motor from foose's bike maybe next year and have a little play! She wants to stay with the CBR as she likes the bike and with a little tune and some bling it all adds up to a fun bike for the road.. I (her partner) enjoy the little CBR as much some days as my 176bhp 1000RR.. :)

·
125cc&#39;s saddest c*nt
5,140 Posts
quite good power for the money!
I agree with all you said apart from this. To get any decent gains you are going to have to spend a lot, quite a few hundred pounds. That's not good value when you could sell the CBR and get a 400 or 600 with cash left over.

Tune the CBR, spend hundreds, get maybe 5 or 6 bhp. Or trade up to a 600 and get an extra 90bhp for free.

Yes the CBR is a fun little bike but the only reason you can keep with 600s (I've done it too) is because there are a lot of 600 riders out there with no skill/balls.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
They have to be really very poor on any road not to keep up with a CBR125 to be fair.

Instead of tuning the engine just buy some BT39's and learn to go round corners.

·
Registered
1 Posts
im just wondering why everytime we ask for improvement of our bikes we always get an answer to get your test done,and have a bigger bike..well maybe im just lucky to be here in the philippines..because here we dont have a restriction for driver to drive specific displacement of the motor bike,as long as you know how to drive you're allowed to drive even the higher displacement, but they like to buy small one one modify it so it will be an underdog but has some hidden charge, 125 here can run 170kph, we need an idea to improve it,not a criticism for this beautiful cbr125, dont waste your time to say "pass your exam and get a bigger bike" i love to see a 125 passing into a cbr600: in my dreams: lol..^_^ let's just try to buy a PCV,K&N hi flow,racing exhaust,iridium spark plug,and lose your weight, you love the bike then we should be willing to spend for it"peace
I have cbr 125 and love the idea of shitting all ova bigger bikes my mate had a metro tuned up but untouched exterior vts and xr2 were main targets you get a great feeling from leaving em in the dust after They look and giggle at ya. I changed my exhaust on my cbr from factory to a black widow
Exhaust which def give a little extra speed and sounds a lot better I’ve just bought a upgraded fuel pump hopefully it’ll give a bit more. Plz let me know wot I should get that worked well for yours.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts