125cc Sportsbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, looking for a performance cdi for my cbr125rs5, i've read all the other posts on here about them
and yes i know it won't do much but with my current setup i can top 85mph in 5th but lose all power in 6th,
it's annoying as hell coz i know it can perform so well i'm just restricted by a sh#te map and ignition retarding.
btw if i can't find one cheap i'm just gonna throw some NOS at it and see what happens (yes my NOS kit was designed for small engines).

thanks in advance, ride safe...ish

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
LOL.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hey, looking for a performance cdi for my cbr125rs5, i've read all the other posts on here about them
and yes i know it won't do much but with my current setup i can top 85mph in 5th but lose all power in 6th,
it's annoying as hell coz i know it can perform so well i'm just restricted by a sh#te map and ignition retarding.
btw if i can't find one cheap i'm just gonna throw some NOS at it and see what happens (yes my NOS kit was designed for small engines).

thanks in advance, ride safe...ish
I've a 2005 cbr 125 and i'm curious as to what kind (or how much) of improvements you think you're gonna get? I get max 75mph flat out in 6th and on level ground, that's on a good day.
I don't think the engine/gearbox was designed to go much faster either giving that it screams at the top speed. Pushing it further is asking for trouble.
I kinda agree with Simps LOL tbh.

·
125cc Sportsbikes Supporter
7,613 Posts
Why bother? I had an unlimited CDI a few years ago and it wasn't worth it. Makes the bike harder to start when it's less than 15c outside and gives the smallest improvement at top end but that's it.

Absolutely no need to remove the rev limit as max torque/power is about 10,000rpm anyway. There really is no power in or past the redline.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks lokheed I'll check those out, i'm currently speaking with the guys at faddybike and some guy from indonesia about getting one from abroad.

other replies are appreciated but like i said in my original post, i have seen everything negative you have to say in other posts and i know that any improvement will be limited.
My cbr125 does 85mph in 5th and it almost hit 90 going down the A1 when it was standard so how there are guys on here b*tching about only getting 75 i don't know.
a racing cdi DOES NOT just remove the rev limiter, it remaps the fuel intake and stops the ignition retarding at high revs so a 10k peak will be a thing of the past.

this upgrade probably won't give me any increase in power but higher revs=stronger gear changes and if i still can't top it out i have my NOS.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Oh my.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Well to be honest I'm not sure how much of that I believe at all... You'd MAYBE get that out of a cbr if you got the head ported and polished and a race cam ... Buys that's the only way I can see it.
Had 82 outta mine tucked and down a hill LOL.

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
So how does this supa-dupa-ultimate-racing-1000hp-gain-CDI compensate for the NOS (i.e. add more fuel)? It doesn't does it.

Please post pics of wrecked engine when you do it, kthxbye.

·
125cc Sportsbikes Supporter
7,613 Posts
I speak from experience with 3 different unlimited CDIs. I have personally tried pretty much every CBR125 mod going and the only ones that are worth it are a race exhaust and a ported head.

However the best mod but most expensive turned out to be selling the f**king thing and getting a 600.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Haha Carlos is a convert I didn't think I'd see.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Ps. Bullsh*t.

I think I once had 80 on a hill on a very long road.
By the time I sold my bike it would do about 70 on the flat, depending on the damn wind.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks lokheed I'll check those out, i'm currently speaking with the guys at faddybike and some guy from indonesia about getting one from abroad.
No problem dude. Let me know how it works out for you. Always interested in improving performance. I've put on a slip on Hindle and it actually added a nice chunk of top end. Enough where I can climb this bridge in 6th when before I had to gear down into 5th.

I've also pulled off a fair bit of weight, including almost 6 lbs by replacing the battery with a Shorai. Adding a bit to the top makes it a ton more fun. It's just on the verge stock.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So how does this supa-dupa-ultimate-racing-1000hp-gain-CDI compensate for the NOS (i.e. add more fuel)? It doesn't does it.

Please post pics of wrecked engine when you do it, kthxbye.
ok so erm... did you actually read what i put, because what you just said makes no real sense.
The CDI changes the way fuel is taken over the whole rev range and stops the ignition from retarding at high rpm ergo no power loss after redline. This means that i can gear up later giving the next gear less work, so going from 5th at 85 (current) to 6th puts me at about 8500 rpm but it just won't pull so going from 5th at say 90 (with cdi) would maybe put me between 9.5 and 10k which would be a stronger change allowing the bike to pull that little bit more.... maybe. The CDI will most probably not give me any extra power (as i already said) just the ability to better utilize what i already have, if i need more power then i have NOS.
The NOS i have tested at low rpm and if anything it makes my engine run cooler and only gives the boost I actually need because i didn't just set it to full power and blow the whole bottle like a 'tard. I'll test it properly at some point and post the results, i'm waiting for better weather... well hoping, this is england after all :/

ps simpsoni28 if you don't see reason or at least come at me with some kind of intelligent argument i'm just gonna block you, i already said i've seen the negative, all i want from this is to find out where i can get a cdi. this goes for everyone, i will not repeat myself again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No problem dude. Let me know how it works out for you. Always interested in improving performance. I've put on a slip on Hindle and it actually added a nice chunk of top end. Enough where I can climb this bridge in 6th when before I had to gear down into 5th.

I've also pulled off a fair bit of weight, including almost 6 lbs by replacing the battery with a Shorai. Adding a bit to the top makes it a ton more fun. It's just on the verge stock.
all mine has is a high flow air filter, a random race can (wrp lite) from like a 400 or something (can't be sure got it from newark auto jumble for £25 lol), the jet kit to compensate for those and a 16 tooth front sprocket oh and some fairing flush indicators. i even still have the original mirrors fitted tbh i can't think of any reason i can get so much out of my machine when everyone else seems to think it's not capable, i weigh 12 stone as well so i doubt it's anything to do with weight, besides it would do 90 before the upgrades it just got there quicker until i put the larger front sprocket on... i dunno what to say... i'm stumped, maybe shell optimax really is worth the extra 60p per visit lol.

anyways i'll let you know what happens on the cdi front, mostly just giving specs and waiting for replies atm, it's always good to find you can push your bike that little bit further, i know what you mean about having to gear down, i ride in a big group and i'm the smallest cc so when it comes to hills n bridges i really had to gun it before where as now it just takes it all in it's stride, so to speak hehe.

good uck dude

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Whatever you do, don't mention high octane fuel.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Pics of NOS ooorrrr...
Gtfo.

Ps I think you are on drugs, as I already posted , mines struggled at 82 and I was tucked, down a hill, no danger are you getting 85 in 5th, just no way.
And mines has a custom downpipe, cone air filter and scorpion end can.
So mines isn't completely standard either.
The only person on here who can say anything about the mods is Carlos, he knows his stuff and I think he seen his go to around 18 bhp after head skimmed and race cam, compare that to a 2t and 18 hp is a poor 125 2t so would maybe only get around 90-95 then.
And I checked my valve clearances yestarday and they're perfect, so my bikes running mint.
Never had anywhere near the speeds your saying.
I'm calling bs.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts