125cc Sportsbikes Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
So I'm kinda new to this whole 4 stroke business and I have a question or two.

The bike has done around 32000 miles, and is overdue a good service (which I will be doing at the weekend) but what I want to know is how often should the valve timing and things like cam belt tension be checked? The bike is starting to feel a bit... well fluffy around the edges.

I can see doing any work on this bike is gona be a pain in the arse for me, unless I have the bloody engine out, there is no room to get to anything! I usually like to do all the work myself, but I'm not quite sure where to begin. I wouldn't like to learn by trial and error this time, mainly because its my only mode of transport, and if I f*ck it up, I'm knackered. So this time I might relent and take it to a garage.

I have no idea how much the garage would charge for this kind of work, and I'll probably ring them up and see what sort of quote I can get, but any ballpark figures what I should expect? Or should this be one of those things where I man up and do it myself because its really easy?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Well for a 91 to 98 cbr600f valve clearances check and adjust so be around every 16,000 miles or two years
as for camchain tensioner not sure cant find anything in my haynes manual

·
Tard Wrangler
5,735 Posts
Valve clearances are every 16k miles as stated above. No need to check cam belt tension as it doesn't have one! It has a cam chain with automatic tensioner, and you'll know when the tensioner needs replacing as the engine will sound like there's a handful of nuts rattling round inside it at 5k rpm.

The valves are shim type on the F3 models so you'll need to allow enough time to get shims when doing clearances. It's not a hard job to do once the tank, airbox and radiator are removed, you'll need feeler gauges and a micrometer as well as the usual sockets and spanners.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Valve clearances are every 16k miles as stated above. No need to check cam belt tension as it doesn't have one! It has a cam chain with automatic tensioner, and you'll know when the tensioner needs replacing as the engine will sound like there's a handful of nuts rattling round inside it at 5k rpm.

The valves are shim type on the F3 models so you'll need to allow enough time to get shims when doing clearances. It's not a hard job to do once the tank, airbox and radiator are removed, you'll need feeler gauges and a micrometer as well as the usual sockets and spanners.
LOL I meant camchain, total typo there, I had spent half an hour chatting to a bloke at work about his knackered old jeep shortly before writing the original post! The reason I asked about the camchain tensioner is because I've heard they can sometimes be a bit...Crap, from standard F3's anyway.

As far as I can tell, the engine isn't trying to rattle its nuts off at all, so I'm pretty confident there.

My concern comes from the exhaust emissions smelling like unburnt fuel at the minute, but that could be down to the spark plugs needing a refresh, I've got some iridium jobbies to go in there either today or tomorrow. The old air filter got replaced with a K&N panel filter so the airflow improved somewhat, and I couldn't find anything that said that fitting one would cause me to have to re-jet or anything, and more air would have the opposite effect on the smell coming from the exhaust surely? The other question I have is the rev range has what i can only describe as a dip at around 2-3k rpm. Once again this may be normal, I just don't want to find I've made some sort of noob mistake after having the bike for 5 minutes!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts