11,699 Posts
splitting the cases for inspection purposes only

tools needed

17mm spanner
m8 allen key attachment
m6 allen key attachment
plastic or rubber mallet
small thin flat head screw driver

first off remove the engine front mounts from its lower mounting position on the cases

then loosen off and remove the 9 clutch case bolts

and gently lift off the clutch case

take note of the 2 spacer / washers on the gear selection rod / shaft dont lose them

now gently lift off the clutch basket

remove the gear selector mechanism

now remove the oil pump drive gear

then remove the circlip on the balance shaft primary drive gear

and lift the gear off off the shaft end

now remove the circlip off the crank shaft primary drive gears and remove the gears

loosen and remove the gear drum stop mechanism

and remove all the crank case bolts

once all the bolts are removed place the engine sat up as it would in the bike
now tap the shafts with a non metal hammer (rubber or plastic) only tap do not damage the shaft ends

the cases will begin to pry apart

at this point place the engine back on it side clutch case side upwards and gently lift off the 1 half of the crank case
note the spacer / thrust washer on the output shaft dont lose it

cases are split you can now inspect the innerds for wear or damage

·
Registered
510 Posts
steve you should make some kind of book and just sell it on here lol, you would make loads

·
Registered
142 Posts
I managed to get my engine out without the need of using a special tool on the swingarm , just undid did the bolt on the left and jobs a good un

·
Premium Member
11,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I managed to get my engine out without the need of using a special tool on the swingarm , just undid did the bolt on the left and jobs a good un
getting it back in might be a problem then as the swingarm pivot bolt adjusts the position of the swingarm and is handy to loosen it off so all the other mounts have more space to line up on reasemble
tighting the pivot pushes the swingarm loosening it pulls it
if its not done properly youll end up with the rear wheel out of allighnment with the front (which is a mot fail)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Thanks for the great guide pego came to very good use!!

Cheers Jak

·
Registered
114 Posts
pego any chance i could have a link to your photobucket please? can't see any pics and would like them if i'm doing this bottom end tomorrow lol

·
Registered
296 Posts
that e- clip assortment box in the piston photo must come in handy the amount of e-clips iv lost from my carb needle grrrrrrrrrrr

Jak

21 - 40 of 61 Posts