125cc Sportsbikes Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't wait, lost count of how long it's been away, six weeks maybe? But hey, the weather's been crap anyway!

Well now as long as all goes to plan Emma and I can have our first rideout this weekend, I'll be running in of course, but that's not a problem.

How long do people run in after a top end rebuild (new pistons), 400miles be about right?

James

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Piston amd rings about 20 miles. All you are doing is bedding the rings into the cylinder, rubbing off any high points on both.

·
2 Strokes And I'm Happy
7,063 Posts
personally id do 100 miles under 6-7k, 50 miles under 9k then thrash it.

·
Wheelies on peds with no gear = win
5,960 Posts
30 - 40 miles of 7k stuff, then a further 10 - 20 of pushing it a bit, and just continually take it up varying the revs. As said your not having to make anything substantial bed, not like a gearbox etc etc. I did 70 miles on my RS before it was back to normal riding.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
If your rings and cylinder havent bedded in by 20 miles they never will! Doing an average of 60 mph that would take 20 mins, at say an average of 8000 rpm, that means the piston will have gone up and down in the cylinder 160000 times, if you havent removed the peaks on them by then something is wrong! I only say 20 miles because it gives you a chance to check that everything is tightened down properly. You can actually do more damage by labouring the engine at low revs, you effectively burnish the rings and make them hard and smooth so that they dont seal properly. Anyway each to their own.

edit for speling

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.