125cc Sportsbikes Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
how do i derestrict the cdi in my 08 rs 125 i replaced my 28mm carb which had a throttle slide sensor with a 34mm one and have a pronounced dip between 5-6 k, my cdi is different to earlier years and has 2 wire inputs and i also have no rave ecu dispite having a powervalve.
same thing here... except i didn't replace carb... anyone knows what to do with cdi???

·
Registered
8 Posts
What is it - "Rave unit"? What is he doing? If he stands on a motorcycle - no need to modify it?

and the second question - how to configure powervalve? No pic on the forum and I do not describe many do not understand. You can tell in details?
thanks.

P.S. We translated this version into Russian, for Russian users. How to edit the full terms of language - I suggest you put on the forum

·
Registered
49 Posts
Rave unit stands for Rotax Adjustable Variable Exhaust, its the electronic box that sits under the passenger seat and controls the solenoid that pulls the valve in the cylinder to increase power at 7800 rpm

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Hers the official aprilia de-restriction guides.
1st one for the 99-05 bikes, 2nd is for 2006 bikes.
it'll maybe stop the posts saying "what size of main jet do i put in, now i've stuck on a pv"
cheers,
GAZ

·
Registered
17 Posts
hi there does anybody know a company that does this job for you. i live in doncaster area i ride a 2007 model and think the job is beyond my mechanical skills at this time. and roughly how much do you think its likely to cost me for someone else to do it. i phoned a bike shop up today in my area and they started saying i need a new ecu at £700 tbh i think they didnt want the job. and thats how i left the phone call.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
you may well need a new ecu (CDI),though i very much doubt it,lol have a look under the back seat,
if its the same as in the guide then you dont need a new one, but if its the newer type (i doubt it) then de-restrictionj is a bit more difficult.
cheers,
GAZ

·
Premium Member
11,689 Posts
idiots guide .............
The Aprilia RS125 restricted to 14bhp for learners or derestricted to (a claimed) 33bhp for those who hold a full license. This guide will tell you where to find restrictions and how to remove them.

How can you tell if your RS125 is restricted?
  • Ride it and look for a significant increase in power at 800rpm
  • Lift up the tank and check the right hand side of the battery compartment to see if a powervalve solenoid has been installed (the solenoid is tubular and mounts via two bolts).
  • If you don't get an increase in power but the powervalve has been installed then the system is not working correctly.
  • If it has been fittedensure that the cable is correctly connected to the blade and the system moves freely
  • Test the solenoid by disconnecting the 2 pin multiplug that connects the solenoid to the wiring harness.
  • Earth one of these pins and connect the other to the positive terminal on your battery (it will move if it is working)
  • If it has seized then it will need to be replaced.
Removing the exhaust restriction
  • Bikes produced since 2003 have a catalytic convertor in the exhaust expansion chamber.You can either
  • Purchase a new expansion chamber and end can (you MUST rejet your carb)
  • Take the expansion chamber from an older bike
  • Cut open your pipe to remove it and weld it back together.
Installing a powervalve and solenoid
  • Installed the blade with the flat side facing up and the tapered side facing down (when retracted, the slope on the end of the blade lines up with the exhaust wall).
  • Install the solenoid on the right hand side of the battery box.
  • Connect the cable to the blade
  • Adjust the solenoid once it is in place.
  • The more the powervalve protrudes into the exhaust port, the more low end power you will have and the less top end power you will have.
  • The less it protrudes, the less low end power you have but the more top end power you will have.
  • You must now install the RAVE unit.
  • Remove the tail fairing to get to this area.
  • The RAVE unit is a similar size to the CDI unit (also underneath the pillion seat) and you will find a multiplug in this vicinity that connects to it.
  • Change your spark plug or you will destroy your piston.
  • A restricted bike should run a BR8EG
  • A derestricted bike should run a BR10EG.
Removing the CDI restriction
  • The stock setup retards the ignition at around 6000rpm so the bike can pass emissions tests.
  • This causes very poor running at this engine speed and you will notice a drop in acceleration.
  • Derestricting the CDI will invalidate your warranty, so buy another from ebay if you bike is still in warranty and derestrict that.
  • The CDI is located under the pillion seat. Remove the tail fairing to get to it.
  • The back of the CDI is filled with rubber and the bridge is underneath it.
  • Remove an area of about 10mm from the bottom of the CDI and about 15mm either side of the centre line of the unit.
  • You will eventually reach a bridge between two terminals.
  • Snap this and then refill the hole with silicon.
Carburettor
  • Newer bikes have a 28mm carburettor whilst the original bikes had a 34mm carburettor.
  • Fitting the 34mm carb gives better mid-range performance and better top end power without affecting your pertrol consumption significantly.
  • Get hold of a Dellorto VHSB 34MM and a new inlet manifold (the original will be too small).
  • The original airbox should be fine with the bigger carb.

·
Forum Troll
3,926 Posts
derestriction of an rs is more like 28hp..you wont get 33hp from a standerd derestricted rs

·
Registered
1,126 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
hi,if i derestrict the cdi by breaking the bridge,does this meen it will fail the mot due to exhaust emisions test?and also does the cdi already have a sylicone bit that you cut through or has mine already been done?

cheers jonny

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Hers the official aprilia de-restriction guides.
1st one for the 99-05 bikes, 2nd is for 2006 bikes.
it'll maybe stop the posts saying "what size of main jet do i put in, now i've stuck on a pv"
cheers,
GAZ
does anyone have the official derestriction guide for 99-05 model?

this is the pic of euro 2 cdi (on my new 2010 bike) and where it should be drilled.

pic of the metal plate on an euro 2 bike.

·
Sargent Sarcastic
8,115 Posts
Does anyone have copies of the original images from the OP?
They are all missing, as they hosting of them seems to have expired or something. If any member has these images, either host them again in a reply here or drop me a pm and can sort out emailing them to me.
I will then sort out some permanent hosting for them and edit the OP to add them back in.
Cheer Russ

·
Registered
21 Posts
you may well need a new ecu (CDI),though i very much doubt it,lol have a look under the back seat,
if its the same as in the guide then you dont need a new one, but if its the newer type (i doubt it) then de-restrictionj is a bit more difficult.
cheers,
GAZ
Hello there, the new type CDI is the easiest bike to de-restrict. please refer to this other post where i have explained some info about jetting.

http://www.125ccsportsbikes.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=92221&st=20&gopid=1328924&

Nick

·
Premium Member
11,689 Posts
Hello there, the new type CDI is the easiest bike to de-restrict. please refer to this other post where i have explained some info about jetting.

http://www.125ccspor...&gopid=1328924

Nick
i have a question here

ive seen a 2 bikes brand spankin new from the same dealership
one was a restricted bike
one was a full power bike (still with cat in exhaust)

the restricted one had a euro 3 ac29 cdi with no plug for a solinoid on the loom

the full power bike came with a ac34 cdi with a solinoid fitted, rave valve fully working, the cdi had not been drilled as in the derestriction guides from aprilia and still had a full working rave system the jetting of the bike was
50 slide
u36 pilot jet
170 main jet
d53 needle

the question i have is whats the difference between the 2 cdis ? ive heard a whisper theres 2 ignition maps installed in the newer cdis and can be switched by a apriia dealer is this true ?

21 - 40 of 65 Posts