125cc Sportsbikes Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm rebuilding the top end of my mito right now and I'm interested in replacing the head bolts, as they are starting to show some corrosion, especially around the middle where they are exposed to a bit of coolant.

I've talked to many mechanics that say Stainless is a big NO - but it's really quite hard to find any replacement bolts online, and It's unclear if the Alloy Engine Kit from http://www.tastynuts.com includes them.

Anybody ever buy that kit, and if so - does the kit come with the head bolts?

Also - I'm considering an after market air filter, but have read allot of opinions about air-box resonance being crucial, and to leave the box in tact for best performance.

Has anyone ever replaced their airbox, and if so, what were your findings about performance / sound / etc. Also - how the hell do you even hook a pod filter up to the carb with the shock in the way?

- Trevor

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
You could also try

www.hyperbolt.com

Dont know if they have what you want but ya might aswell try and theyre a hell of alot cheaper...

Performance air filters...the general opinion on them seems to be they let more dirt/water in causing harm to your engine...although I stand to be corrected

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
i don't think there are any engine bolt kits on the market include the head bolts,you can use stainless steel as long as you use a copper grease or similar on the thread(there's a chemical reaction between the stainless and the alloy,you need to stop this with the copper grease)i've used stainless bolts on all my bikes with no problems.
as for pod filters,the problem is that they don't give a good smoothed air flow into the carb,an air box is a better bet for smoother faster air flow.

·
Registered
189 Posts
On the air box side of things i was thinking the other day, if u had a ram air filter say and mounted it in side the air box up to the carb inlet and left the lid off would dat work? duno?!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What torque settings have worked for those of you who have used stainless?

And for the information of everyone - this is what I have found from my research so far...

Stainless and Titanium expand at very simular rates - much closer to aluminum as well.

(these numbers are thousanths of an inch per inch per some odd degrees - for comparison only)

Mild Steel: 3
Titanium: 6
Stainless: 7
Aluminum: 13

So - stainless is a great choice, so long as you use anti-sieze to avoid the chemical reaction between the stainless and the aluminum that will weld them in place. Aluminum bolts are even worse about welding into place (not that anti-seize couldnt fix that too). In fact the worst idea is mild steel, but it's cheap, and that's why it's the manufactures choice - no doubt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.