125cc Sportsbikes Forum banner

Heated Grips ?

2K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  Westie 
#1 ·
will they work on the mito?
my dad said the regulator needs to have 5 amps spare to run them, has anyone had them or have them on?

cheers...Brad

#5 ·
yeah, i was speaking to my dad about them last night when he go back from london on his bike and he said how warm his hands where, he said there needs to be 5 amps spare to run them safely, dose anyone know what the max out put of the regulator is ? or how i can find out?

#8 ·
Update time - I went and bought some yesterday on lunch and fitted them when I got in from work. On my way into work this morning they got hot within about 3mins - all seems good.

I'm not sure if I like them though as they are thicker than normal grips. On the important side of things my palms were very warm, fingers still got a bit cold.

I will keep them on over the weekend and make my mind up I think - also if I go to start my bike at the end of the day and I have a flat battery I will not be impressed lol

#15 ·
Running headed grips will drain your battery if you ride with the lights on. Lighting (don't forget all the ancillary lamps like the dash, warning lights etc) and engine/PV control draw the best parts of 85-90W which leaves a max of 30W of capacity in the generator to charge the battery - and thats if the engine in running at over 6000rpm. Basically every time you're sitting at the lights you'll be drain the battery, and with only 5W of spare capacity in the generator it won't be able to maintain the charge.
You can use an optimate to keep the battery charged when you're parked up, but in the long term it'll shag your battery.

Personnally, I'd invest in a decent pair of gloves instead! You can always pull up if your hands get too cold and stick them on the barrel of the engine to warm up again!
Getting frosty fingers is all part of the joy of winter biking!

#17 ·
Not as chilly as its gonna be at 11pm in some remote carpark in the middle of nowhere when you can start your bike cos the battery's flat and you gotta wait an hour for someon to come out and jump start you!

Kids of today eh? Little bit chilly and they all turn into wooses! When I was your age I road to work on a january morning in nowt but me Y front and a Bell open face helmet! Course, it were tough in those days, no electric starts on our LC's, had to kick it like a stray dog to get it started....etc etc etc....

#18 ·
I thought the mito drew over 100 watts at the most, i had 115 in the back of my mind somehow.

#21 ·
Totalling up the total electrical load of the bike with lights on etc its 85-90, 100-105 with brake light on but as thats only an incidental load I didn't include it. That leaves approx 30W of capacity in the generator for charging the battery (which isn't a great deal) hence why its a good idea to invest in a trickle charger (especially for these chilly mornings).

I speak from bitter experience this week when I couldn't get mine to fire up first thing in the morning due to the cold. Made me nearly an hour late for work! To add insult to injury it fired up when I got back in the evening when it was a bit warmer!

Adding heared grips will be ok for a while if you've got a fairly new health battery, but it'll soon get tired if you use them, and I guarentee it'll let you down on a cold morning when you're runnig late for something!

#20 ·
This subject of heated grips was covered a while back and the conclusion was, that they are for gays.

#22 ·
Hi

Mito Evo manual lists the generator as a 120W unit. But at idle it is producing next to nothing.

Lights on it will have 55W from the headlight (110W if you pull the headlight flash to get more light), 5w for the side lights, 5W for the rear light and a few watts for the dash board lights.

Non Evo has 2 headlight bulbs but as standard they are only 25W. Upgrade it to larger bulbs and the current drain will be massive.

Mito is not renowned for having a pokey charging system so if you are just going round town at low speed and lots of short journies then you will kill the battery pretty rapidly.

All the best

Keith

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.