·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
for some reason the Poll wont display to make it easier here are the options

1. Warm up the bike and make sure the Correct Bars / Temp is displayed
2. Warm up the bike for a few seconds and drive off
3. Hit the electric and go
4. Hit the electric drive off but keep it under the band (specfic RPM)
5. Other - please state.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
lol at how many times this has come up. Leave it ticking over for a few secs, ride off without thrashing it until it comes upto temp.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I let mine warm up to aroun 50-55 before setting off, but wont go above 7,800rpm untill its at 70+.
I also try to keep the max revs related to its temp, i.e 50 = change gear at 5,000 rpm, 60 = change up at 6,000. Once it hits 70 its play time for me.
Dont know why, just makes sure i don't overcook it whilst its warming up.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I let mine warm up to aroun 50-55 before setting off, but wont go above 7,800rpm untill its at 70+.
I also try to keep the max revs related to its temp, i.e 50 = change gear at 5,000 rpm, 60 = change up at 6,000. Once it hits 70 its play time for me.
Dont know why, just makes sure i don't overcook it whilst its warming up.
that really odd with the rpm thing because thats the way i look at it too ! lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
that really odd with the rpm thing because thats the way i look at it too ! lol
If your not in a rush i.e. going to see your granny's last breaths or going to stop your wife buying another expensive handbag then read below!

The best advice i've read and carry out is as follows (its also i bit of a time saver, if your not an organised person!)

Start the bike give a couple of gentle revs, make sure your fuel is on!

Wait a whole minute to make sure it does'nt cut out!

Then go back in the house put your gear on

Go back out to the bike and hey presto your bike should be warmed up nicely (or at least up to 50-60c)

Drive off for the first few miles till it hits the temp of about 70c and away you go, no thrashing required no reving at certain temps just plain and simple. Never failed me yet!!!

Easy as, even i can do it!

·
Registered
29 Posts
If your not in a rush i.e. going to see your granny's last breaths or going to stop your wife buying another expensive handbag then read below!

The best advice i've read and carry out is as follows (its also i bit of a time saver, if your not an organised person!)

Go back out to the bike and hey presto your bike should be warmed up nicely (or at least up to 50-60c)

Drive off for the first few miles till it hits the temp of about 70c and away you go, no thrashing required no reving at certain temps just plain and simple. Never failed me yet!!!

·
Registered
156 Posts

easy as until one day u come out and find ur bike nicked
never leave ur keys in the ignition, people have so much front these days its unbeliveable

·
Registered
29 Posts
easy as until one day u come out and find ur bike nicked
never leave ur keys in the ignition, people have so much front these days its unbeliveable
I suppose its where you live i guess i.e. on a main street, but as its always pointed out to me it does'nt matter what security you have for your bike if the thieves want it, they'll have it, not that i'm saying that you should leave your bike unlocked!!! But in Edinburgh near to where i live they have been known to steal an estate car and lie the bike flat and put it in one of those!!! Also Aprilia's are very sought after bikes!

·
I love c*ck
12,200 Posts
f*ck me, why do you wait for it to warm upto 55-60 before riding? I take it you don't want your engines to perform at their best, and want a shorter engine life?

Wait for 30c to show then ride under the powerband until the thermostat has opened, don't leave it idling either, blip the throttle.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
what i have been doing is warming her up holding my revs till 4,000rpm once 2 bars come up on the display drive off but dont take it over the powerband until 3 bars come up (new model displays in bars rather than temp)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Yea thats why I blip my throttle just under 3k when I start her up, I heard that if you let it tick over 2T dosent get into the engine, but if you blip it a little then atleast youre getting 2T in it, I didnt come up with the idea I have to blip it, but just to put my mind at ease I always do. Just so I know that it will lubricate the engine.

Blipping it to about 54 ride off easy till 70-72, Well I dont really thrash it all the time, but I know it's time I can have a little bit of a thrash on.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts