125cc Sportsbikes Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
4 for me
i start it up, put my helmt and gloves on (30secs) and then ride, keeping it under 6Krpm until i have a constant 3 bars of heat, then i do with it as i wish lol

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
used to let it warm up to about 50 but now i just let it get to 30 so it doesnt say cold get on and ride under the powerband until its at 60 and then thrash it
just out of interest but how long does it take to go from cold to 30?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Choke on, I start the engine.. after 10 seconds or so choke off.. then I let it idle until 2 bars appear.. then I just ride it up to 5k rpm.. I rev higher it only when it's at 3 bars.. I trash it only when I go for longer rides once it's at optimal temperature.

·
Registered
278 Posts
i just start mine up and redline it as soon as its idling.

lol no, i start mine up, close and lock shed door, walk back to bike(about 2metres), put on helmet and gloves,ride off and keep it under 6k until it gets up to temperature

·
Registered
513 Posts
what i have been doing is warming her up holding my revs till 4,000rpm once 2 bars come up on the display drive off but dont take it over the powerband until 3 bars come up (new model displays in bars rather than temp)
I used to have to hold my revs on for a minute to stop the engine from cutting out so it would warm up...

It turned out there was a dirty great hole in the bore...

Had topend rebuild and it starts up 1st time, every time, quick couple of blips, turn the choke off and it will idle forever - or in this case a couple of mins while i put my gear on then ride off gingerly for the 1st few miles.

******************************************************************************************

When i asked this question when i 1st got my RS i got told by everyone on forum to set off straight away and ride slow until up to proper temp or you will coke up spark plug and shorten engine life.

Only problem is all the dealers tell you the opposite and to let it warm up for a few mins - so for the novice rider you dont know what to do for the best??

Trust the old boys on the forum or trust the dealer that provides your warranty...

·
Registered
29 Posts
how does leaving the engine warm up c*ck up the spark plug and end the engines life earlier, surely riding when its cold is not the best way, please explain someone who can give genuine sound mechanical knowledge on this matter. My brain can't accept this as right!!!!!!!!

Cheers guys

·
Does not know Everything !
14,526 Posts
The engine needs to reach its optimum operating temperature to work properly, leaving the bike to idle extends the period of time when it is running with improper lubrication of the clutch and gearbox via engine oil as its cold and improper lubrication of the top end as the 2 stroke oil isnt burning properly. The spark plug needs to reach its optimum operating temperature to be able to self clean as the temperature of the metal the plug is made of needs to be very hot to burn off the oil that gets deposited on it with each burn.

The exhaust will also eventually get a thick coating of unburned oil on it which when you eventually ride fast for a long time will burn and make it smoke badly. It will also reduce preformance by slowing the gasses exiting the exhaust. Any exhaust packing will also get soaked in thick black gunk.

That being said, you would have to leave it idling for a long time to do the slightest bit of harm.

·
Registered
513 Posts
how does leaving the engine warm up c*ck up the spark plug and end the engines life earlier, surely riding when its cold is not the best way, please explain someone who can give genuine sound mechanical knowledge on this matter. My brain can't accept this as right!!!!!!!!

Cheers guys
Read it again duck it said 'coke' not c*ck

And it wasn't advice i'm as 'in the dark' as everyone else on this matter

·
Registered
29 Posts
The engine needs to reach its optimum operating temperature to work properly, leaving the bike to idle extends the period of time when it is running with improper lubrication of the clutch and gearbox via engine oil as its cold and improper lubrication of the top end as the 2 stroke oil isnt burning properly. The spark plug needs to reach its optimum operating temperature to be able to self clean as the temperature of the metal the plug is made of needs to be very hot to burn off the oil that gets deposited on it with each burn.

The exhaust will also eventually get a thick coating of unburned oil on it which when you eventually ride fast for a long time will burn and make it smoke badly. It will also reduce preformance by slowing the gasses exiting the exhaust. Any exhaust packing will also get soaked in thick black gunk.

That being said, you would have to leave it idling for a long time to do the slightest bit of harm.
That makes proper sense to me, i think that answers most of the above questions!!!

And the quote above my post, what are you on about?! coke not c*ck? starnage!

·
Registered
513 Posts
That makes proper sense to me, i think that answers most of the above questions!!!

And the quote above my post, what are you on about?! coke not c*ck? starnage!
Er well you misinterpreted / misspelt the word coke in a previous reply so I was rectifying your understanding, there seems to be a pattern forming here cos i'm guessing starnage means strange?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Er well you misinterpreted / misspelt the word coke in a previous reply so I was rectifying your understanding, there seems to be a pattern forming here cos i'm guessing starnage means strange?
no i was trying to spell c*ck! not in the genital terms, but using it in the phrase of "c*cking up" something.
Thanks mr dic-tionary for keeping me right, nothing to with miss hitting the buttons of cousre!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ah its oky
Ok now that you to have stopped b*tching at each other....lol, I start the bike and wait for "Cold" to disappear from the display and for it to show me a reading. As soon and i see the reading usually around 30 - 50 i start to ride at low revs and not thrash my babe.

I would wait for it to reach a good temperature but i find it warms up faster on the go.

·
I love c*ck
12,200 Posts
Ok now that you to have stopped b*tching at each other....lol, I start the bike and wait for "Cold" to disappear from the display and for it to show me a reading. As soon and i see the reading usually around 30 - 50 i start to ride at low revs and not thrash my babe.

I would wait for it to reach a good temperature but i find it warms up faster on the go.
+1, thats the way to do it!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts