125cc Sportsbikes Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am soon getting my first bike. I definitely want to get enduro/supermoto because I like riding offroad. Husqvarna has very confusing names for their 125 supermotos and enduros. I want to know the difference between the SM 125, SMS 125, WR 125, WRE 125. Do they all have the same engine, what are their power outputs when derestricted, reliability, acceleration and top speed? As I live in Estonia I don´t have a big choice of bikes to choose from and right now there is a Husqvarna SM 125 2008 for sale 2000€ http://www.mototehnika.ee/used/2154694 what do think about that bike for the price. The guy who is selling it, says that it is derestricted but only has a top speed of 130kmh, so Im not so sure that it is fully derestricted.
If I cant find anything from Estonia I might get my bike from Finland. I am also considering Aprilia SX/RX, Yamaha DTR and maybe even Gasgas ec/sm or KTM EXC.
Please give me all kinds of advice and sorry for long post.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am soon getting my first bike. I definitely want to get enduro/supermoto because I like riding offroad. Husqvarna has very confusing names for their 125 supermotos and enduros. I want to know the difference between the SM 125, SMS 125, WR 125, WRE 125. Do they all have the same engine, what are their power outputs when derestricted, reliability, acceleration and top speed? As I live in Estonia I don´t have a big choice of bikes to choose from and right now there is a Husqvarna SM 125 2008 for sale 2000€ http://www.mototehnika.ee/used/2154694 what do think about that bike for the price. The guy who is selling it, says that it is derestricted but only has a top speed of 130kmh, so Im not so sure that it is fully derestricted.
If I cant find anything from Estonia I might get my bike from Finland. I am also considering Aprilia SX/RX, Yamaha DTR and maybe even Gasgas ec/sm or KTM EXC.
Okay, so the differences are as following:

WR 125: High-end, high-price enduro bike. Is delivered restricted with about 10 hp from factory to pass emissions tests. Produces close to 40 hp derestricted by either removing the restrictor in the expansion chamber or changing the whole exhaust system. Needs lots of maintenance and has a high fuel consumption.

SM 125: This is basically a WR 125 on motard wheels. High performance engine. Needs a lot of maintenance and uses A LOT of fuel. Usually compared to the KTM EXC, Husaberg TE, GasGas EC etc..

SMS 125: Street-spec bike. Delivered with 15 hp stock. Somewhere between 25-30 hp derestricted depending on your carburetor size, reed valve and exhaust system. Does not require that much maintenance, and is slightly more frugal on the consumption.

WRE 125: This is basically the SMS on enduro-wheels. 15 hp from factory, low on maintenance etc.

With that out of the way..

Street-spec bikes:

Your "reasonable" 2-stroke options would then be either an Aprilia SX/MX/RX 125, Yamaha DT125R/RE/X or the Husqvarna SMS/WRE 125.

Race-spec bikes:

The "less reasonable" 2-stroke options would be the Husqvarna SM/WR 125, Husaberg TE 125, KTM EXC 125, GasGas EC/SM 125 or the TM SMR/SMM 125.

2000€ seems like a fair price. I know very little Estonian but from what I interpreted from Google Translate he did a service on the bike in December, which is a good thing. Anyhow, I can't seem to find any numbers on the mileage and that's a little worrying because this is kind of do or die on these bikes when they are ridden derestricted. Derestricting a bike causes a lot of extra stress on the internals of the engine, and if the owner was slacking on piston- and oil changes you will end up with a worn out bike that could end up being a real lemon..

This whole thing depends solely on your budget. If I were you I would suggest you to look for a newer bike since that usually means less problems..

Good luck on the hunt for your new bike!

Cheers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Actually today I bought a Aprilia SX125 FP 2011 so Im not looking for a bike anymore.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Actually today I bought a Aprilia SX125 FP 2011 so Im not looking for a bike anymore.
Awesome!

How do you like it so far, or is it too snowy to ride out in Estonia?

·
Registered
13 Posts
It is too snowy and cold here, I am waiting for spring and warmer weather.
Yeah, seems like the best thing to do!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought that bike,didnt expected to find a post about exactly this bike.:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
can you put on husqvarna sm 125 bigger wheels like rear 18 and front 21 without any other mods?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts