125cc Sportsbikes Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
evening. im having big issues with carole nash insurance brokers and was wondering if anyone has had similar problems or can offer any advice on this.

in march i added a cbr 600 as a second bike and they messed up my policy so i made a complaint.

yesterday 24th june i received a cancelation letter and an email response from them saying that, upon reviewing my complaint they have become aware of an issue that has caused the insurance to become viod.

they have now cancelled my cover due to discovering i have modifacations on my honda cbr that the insurer will not accept.

carole nash are accepting full liability for all the errors that have caused the cancelation as they can see that i did clearly declare mods on my policy, but their agent had failed to declare it to the insurer.

so now my policy has been cancelled from monday 28th june for no fault of mine

corole nash have offered to continue to cover me with a different insurer who will accept the mods on the cbr (naked/streetfighter) and also cover my 2nd bike the same as my current policy, but the premium will be consideribly higher at £2,000+ compared to my current policy at £500 odd for both. the extra £1,500 is because of the cbr mods.

i have spoken to the guy who is dealing with this at carole nash and asked him who is liable for the extra costs and he told me that i will be liable myself.

i pointed out to him that they will be in breach of the insurance contract as i am clearly not liable for any of the errors and carole nash have accepted full liability for everything.

he is now enquiring if they would be wiling to cover all additional £1,500 costs but he was not willing to commit.

i have the guy phoning me back tomorrow.
if anyone can offer any advice on how to deal with this it would be much appreciated as i cant afford to pay £2,000 for insurance and i really dont feel i should be held financialy liable for carole nash's mistakes

thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i know my post is rather long and may be difficult to understand, but any help or advice really would be greatfully appreciated.
thanks

·
Registered
519 Posts
How old is the cbr ?, this does come into play on older bikes. I had a similar situation with a Ducati. It was around 8 years old and hadn't been altered (engine size wise), or upgraded, in any way. What it did have was aftermarket fairing, mirrors, seat, screen, exhausts & rear sets. None of these additions significantly altered the performance of the bike, and many of the original parts were not available readily.

I claimed on insurance for a small "off" I had on the way from work. The assessor said to me that the bike will invariably be replaced with nonstandard parts over the course of its life, especially cosmetic ones. He had no issues writing the bike off ( I think it was worth about £3k at the time).

My feeling is that you've not been refused insurance, its been cancelled as an admin error. I'd simply cancel any current offers, go through the comparison site and only declare the mods which alter the performance of the bike (assuming its an old bike).

Don't get me wrong, if its been bored out and had a single sided swing arm shoved on the back, then its clearly not as the factory intended, but if it starts and stops as Honda designed it to, then I cant see there's an issue.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi gsteel, cheers for your reply.
the bikes an N 1996 cbr600 f3.
the outcome is i have left carole nash now as they were quoting me £2,200 for the cbr and a little 125 enduro which is just silly money. you were right in that they cancelled it as an admin error and they did agree that i wont have to declare the cancelation to other insurers as it was their fault, which is fair as i think that could have messed me up for any other policy i get.

looking over the bike the only real change from factory is the clip on bars have been removed and it has bar clamps bolted to the top yoke with flat/drag bars, other than that its standard factory parts.
the cosmetic changes are the front fairings have been removed and it has a cheap 7" round headlight and a homemade stainless steel cowel covering the i8gnition etc.
insurance all class it as a streetfighter, i call it a rat..

i did go on the compare sites and got a few quotes with and also without any of the changes just for the cbr all with the same cover. with the bike totally standard it came in around £260, and with the minor changes i managed to get it for £370 with be moto insurance and they put the mods down as custom bars, fairing removal and also streetfighter, other bits like the light and exhaust are classed as standard accepted mods.
i declared everything on the bike as im fully comp with extras included and i wouldnt want to give them any excuses not to pay out if i ever come to make a claim and they found out i hadnt declared the changes.

i still dont understand how they can charge you more when in reality the bike has fairings missing so theres less to damage and it knocks a couple hundred quid off the value, i guess they just know they can get away with it.

i havnt managed to get both my bikes covered on one policy for a fair price, and most wouldnt even cover them both together, even though they would cover them seperately.

i have managed to get them both with different insurers using my no claims on the cbr and zero NCD on the aprilia and its worked out im paying roughly the same as before, and although i can now also build a seperate NCD which i could then combine in the future, i would still have rather had things left as they were and everything was simple all on one policy with much less headache.

i dont think i would go back to carole nash again though after 7 years continually insured with them they just left me to deal with all the sh*t from their mistakes.

now i just have to deal with the £160 cancellation fee carole nash have kindly sent me in the post, which im sure will be fun. then i should be all sorted untill next year.
cheers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts