125cc Sportsbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Took the Duke 125 for its first service recently and ask for the 100kph (62mph) speed restriction to be removed.
The dealer said they couldn't do it but could re-map the engine to the lastest map which may improve things (it didn't).

They also said the engine performance would improve over time as the engine breaks in. (Mines done 700 miles now).

Has anyone been able to get KTM to remove the speed restriction?

Cheers.

·
Lives The Skinhead Life
3,394 Posts
Hi,

Took the Duke 125 for its first service recently and ask for the 100kph (62mph) speed restriction to be removed.
The dealer said they couldn't do it but could re-map the engine to the lastest map which may improve things (it didn't).

They also said the engine performance would improve over time as the engine breaks in. (Mines done 700 miles now).

Has anyone been able to get KTM to remove the speed restriction?

Cheers.
yes mate i think you need to order the factory de restriction kit :

·
Registered
24 Posts
62mph eh that's definitely a little low isn't it. my chinese pushrod 125 can hold a solid 60 (on a flat in scottish weather) and yes the speedo is fairly accurate. surely a ktm should atleast be pulling 70/75?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The point I was trying to make is that it's capable of at least 75mph.

The restriction is in the top speed, not the power as I understand it.

If you read the magazine reviews most people have had 75 - 80 mph out of them but these were un-restricted non european models.

What I'm trying to find out is if the restriction is something KTM have had to do to comply with EU regulations for "learners" or it's for some other
undisclosed reason.

·
Premium Member
9,148 Posts
it will be coz its a learners bike mate. god knows where the restriction are on them though!?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
*UPDATE*

I just spoke to a really helpful guy at KTM head office.

He informs me that all the UK bikes are un-restricted and there's no reason why mine should not be capable of pulling 75mph.

He's suggested that once the engine is run-in fully and now it's on normal synthetic oil and not the sticky "running in" oil the bike should get there (eventually).

I'll find some flat road over the weekend and if it ever stops raining will have a speed run.

If that fails I'll just chuck a 250MX engine in there. Apparently it fits right in the frame :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
*UPDATE*

I just spoke to a really helpful guy at KTM head office.

He informs me that all the UK bikes are un-restricted and there's no reason why mine should not be capable of pulling 75mph.

He's suggested that once the engine is run-in fully and now it's on normal synthetic oil and not the sticky "running in" oil the bike should get there (eventually).

I'll find some flat road over the weekend and if it ever stops raining will have a speed run.

If that fails I'll just chuck a 250MX engine in there. Apparently it fits right in the frame :)
That's what my dealer told me when I had my first service back in August last year.

Never reached more than 60 mph though due to the type of roads I cover, but judging from the level of acceleration, 78 mph should be eventually possible on a long enough flat straight road.

·
Premium Member
9,148 Posts
sounds like a 4t wet fart then lol

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
can understand you wanting a bit more than 65mph out of her but come on we don't buy a 125 for speed do we. If i were you i'd be going for acceleration not top end speed, which will ultimately will give you more fun.

Love the idea of slapping a 250mx engine in one though

·
Registered
204 Posts
Do it!

Mini duke + 250 2T engine = win.

If you could fit the 380 motor in that would be even better, be an absolute animal then.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Aye that would madness. DO IT.
I know KTM have already done it when developing the DUKE 125/200/300 so it can be done. How much work is involved and what an insurance company would make of it is another matter! What would a 250 MX motor cost and what does it put out at the crank?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
**UPDATE**

Just did my first dry ride on the bike since the 600 mile service and re-map and there's definately an improvement in peformance.

The engine revs more freely and there's more of a rasp to the exhaust note with the occasional "pop" on over-run which wasn't there before (more fuel going in I guess?).

Acceleration is better and it definately feels like there's more power there. I didn't get chance to try it flat out but did hit 68 at one point and I'm sure there's more to come once the engine is fully run in.

Got to say, I'm really enjoying the bike and I know most of the people on here laugh at 4T's but for someone like me who's probably a lot older than most on here and only rode a bike for the first time a month ago when I did my CBT, it seems plenty fast enough for now! :)

·
Registered
737 Posts
**UPDATE**

Got to say, I'm really enjoying the bike and I know most of the people on here laugh at 4T's but for someone like me who's probably a lot older than most on here and only rode a bike for the first time a month ago when I did my CBT, it seems plenty fast enough for now! :)
Most people on here have 4strokes lol

·
Registered
68 Posts
**UPDATE**

When I had my Duke 125 all reactions from other motorcyclists were positive. My current bike is also a 4T and so far definitely have not been laughed at :)

I suppose the issue is not so much to do with 2T or 4T, ultimately it's the cubic inches and power/torque output which translate to on road performance that counts?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts

1 - 20 of 32 Posts