125cc Sportsbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to turn 17 and have my sites set on a motorbike. I was sure i wanted an aprilia rs 125 but after looking and considering i am nt so sure. what are the major advantages of the cagiva mito? does it require engine rebuilds every 19000Km like the aprilia, are they reliable (more so than the aprilia)?
Also does anyone know any cheap motorbike dealers in the midlands who might be selling.

Please help.....

Richard

·
Registered
68 Posts
I don't think the rings on any 125cc 2 stroke would last 19000kms and still be running efficiently. If you want something that will be cheap to maintain and last 19000kms or more then maybe you?d be better with a 4 stroke. But if you like to get your hands dirty, have the time and don?t mind doing some work yourself, you could save yourself some money and learn heaps in the process.
Welcome to the forum.

·
Does not know Everything !
14,526 Posts
125cc 2 stroke bikes are very highly strung, expensive to run and require new engine components very frequently.

I don't know of a 6 month period when i wasn't buying something.

They are fast but that is offset by there fragile nature, it is a very small engine doing a lot of work, they go faster than older 250cc bikes so the extra power has to come at the price of reliability.

The Mito must be the No 1 most unreliable 2 stroke followed very closely by the RS 125.

My advice would be to buy an NSR 125 RR, they are built to be easy to ride, forgiving and require less maintenence than an RS or Mito.

The RS and the Mito are not starter 125's. They are full on race bikes.

You will learn to ride much easier on an NSR.

I have owned an NSR and a Mito, the NSR was by far the better learner bike.

If you do a search you will see a few threads about comparing them all.

·
2 Strokes And I'm Happy
7,063 Posts
ignore old painless and get a mito, much better bikes than the rs125's or the nsr125's.

·
14,526 Posts
Haha. I had a TZR too, that was nice to start on, my first bike that was.

I rode it into the ground from summer to icy winters days and it never let me down, neither did the NSR, japanese bikes are far better than the italian ones for reliability i am afraid.

Mr Revolution, what would make you say they are 'better', its all very subjective really.

·
2 Strokes And I'm Happy
7,063 Posts
Haha. I had a TZR too, that was nice to start on, my first bike that was.

I rode it into the ground from summer to icy winters days and it never let me down, neither did the NSR, japanese bikes are far better than the italian ones for reliability i am afraid.

Mr Revolution, what would make you say they are 'better', its all very subjective really.
faster, better handling, better brakes, more reliable.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
engine side.. depends how you ride but rings piston topend if it score's when the rings go. big end, list goes on. have to say the electrics on the mito arnt that good. full rac or aa cover can get you out of sh*t.

general bike stuff.... tires, chain and sprockets etc etc.

no bike is cheap really. a 2t might need love offen but if a 4t goes wrong its a big bill if you get me.

·
14,526 Posts
More reliable ?

Check out the NSR forum, its all what to do when its wet and what tyres are good, the Mito and RS forum are 50% flat batteries and 50% omfg my engine exploded.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
The NSR's make ~25% less power than the Mito/RS's. They've a bridged exhaust port which extends engine life and allows more abuse.

Wouldn't say my bike isn't reliable, but i wouldn't of been able to keep it unless i knew how to spin a spanner.

Buy an Mito/RS if you know how to fix basic things. Buy a NSR if you want simple speed. Buy a cbr if you want complicated slowness.

Check out the cbr forum, it's all about "should i oil my chain".

·
14,526 Posts
True, but you'll be spending a lot more time with an oil soaked manual in your hand.

Laerning how to fix bikes by buggering about with your daily commuter is a bit........adventurous.

·
125cc Sportsbikes Supporter
3,020 Posts
is it pretty easy to learn how to fix the mito and rs then...by just folloing the manuals??
i knew nothing about engines until i spoke to these guys now i can now change the topend, clean carb haven't gone much futher than that yet but yeah can learn alot from these guys

·
125cc Sportsbikes Supporter
3,517 Posts
id say go for a mito - but im biased. Like OP ive had a Honda nsF (pre nsr - sounding old), and it was bullet proof, lots of fun to ride but inherenlty slow.

Then i had a mito, and bloody loved every angry italian-based quip that went with it. Like someone else said, with the help of this site, i learned how to perform basic maintneance and repairs, which was actualy quite fun. When a mito works, its the best 125 around, hands down (again imo).

Since getting rid of my mito, ive bought a duati 748, because ive become a sucker for italians.

the Rs is a good bike too, but the mito has more prestige and once tamed is much more fulfilling ride.

good luck

Tom

PS welcome to the mad house.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
NSR's are very reliable... 14,000 miles without a single ring or piston change... And I mean it when I rape the f**king sh*t out of it... Redline it from cold nearly all of the time... Watch that needle shake,oh yes
Friend had an NSR with 38000kms without any engine work and he thrashed the sh*t out of it even more than me...until he put into a bridge...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.