125cc Sportsbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK then its not as bad as it seems.. in fact its bloody good.

heres the list!!

mudguard slightly touching front wheel, my own fault i did check it and thought nah its only catching a tad..

wheel allignment, again a stupid mistake as when i put the back wheel back on i just tightened it and forgot to adjust it properly.

finally, when indicating i am getting a slight drop in voltage to back light causing a slight 'blinking' with it. MOT guy says its usually the earth, but i cant find where its earthed to the frame..

so questions are

what colour wire is the earth? i assume black but i see a red and white wire near petrol tank touching nothing and one near oil tank touching nothing.. whats this?
wheres it earthed to frame?
can i cut into the wire near back light and earth it closer to light? would i have to chop straight through it?
any new sugestions to solve this one final little problem..

oh yeah and quickly one more thing, before going to the test station today i started up the bike and was checking the wiring around the headlight and the bloody thing shocked me!!! any ideas why please?

thanks and see you on the roads soon!

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
ok ok,

i earthed the back light to the fram near it, still the same so i earthed it straight to the battery.. problem still there!!!

i also notice that ALL lights dim a tad when indicators come on, oil light, neutral and side light. this gives me the impression that its to do with drawing power from the battery. and because its taking a little each time it flashes then its leaving less for all other lights... surely theres nothing i can do about this then????

running the engine makes a slight difference, it stops flickering at 6k!!!.

this is really p**sing me off because it wasnt even major it is literally just a little flicker darker!

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
may be the rectifier mate.my lights would actually dim when i revved it,yours doesnt sound as bad as that tho.may not be the battery, but a dry joint on the positive lead from the battery,to the ignition.if there is a connection,that isnt made properly or is loose, then it wont be ABLE TO DRaw enough power from the battery.

·
Registered
842 Posts
hmm.......thats odd......mine does exactly the same thing.....if I flick the indicators the lights dim a fraction......but the battery is new, the reg/reg is good as well........and its all earthed correctly.....

MOT is tomorrow.....so will have to check to see if I can stop the flickering...at least for the MOT....

·
Registered
842 Posts
I charged it to the maximum...and I have just checked it again...its perfect

I cant understand how they can fail it for that though!

its got a 45w headlight a 15w rear light...and then they want it to still be able to pull 10w for the indicators? along with all the other little lights like the dash lights etc....thats starting to pull a bit of juice from such a p**sy little battery!

I am checking all the lights...but I still cant see why it would fail on it....but oh well.....MOTs are full of complete bullsh*t anyway.....

·
Premium Member
3,474 Posts
it could fail on lights interfering with other lights . . if they all get a bit dimmer then i wouldnt worry too much. i mean what are the chances they have all the lights going at once?

soon see tomorrow anyway

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
tzrwood you have a pm.

as for checking with all the lights on.. they are supposed to!!

after all 95% of bikers ride around with there headlights on all the time so the indicator shouldnt really effect it.. mind you it was very very minor and p**sed me off when he pulled me up on it!!

if they do pull it up then just lie to him and say yamaha themselves have told you that they all seem to do it and that they never really found a solution except for buying a bigger battery... that wouldnt fit anyway!!

I DIDNT MENTION THATS ITS ACTUALLY NOW PASSED!! :)

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
erm how did i solve it... OK i tell you!!

I came home and spent 4 hours rewiring the back light, earth, live from another source and it still did it so... i tried revving the engine and noticed something really cool.. it stopped it at about 6k.. lol no good at the lights then revving it to 6k to stop the flicker.

anyway i phoned back the mot station and told them that i had phone yamaha and that after i explained to them the problem and the bike model there response was 'show us one that it doesnt do it on'..

i told mot guy that yam went on to say 'that they all do it and far from fitting a higher amp battery (of which there isnt one that will fit) then its something that is unresolvable, but that there was a solution that if i rev the engine high enough it would stop'... at this point i made a joke with mot guy about being sat at the lights at night indicating and revving the nuts off!!!

anyway after saying all this to the mot guy AND the mentioning the fact that all the lights do it a little including neutral and oil light so its not an earth problem isolated to the back light he then told me that if i had done all the other bits to bring it back and he would over look it as it was only very minor anyway....

am i a bad man?? lmao

job done!!!

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
i was going to say i never seen a tzr that doesnt dip its lights slih=ghtly on tick over,its a problem with small engines not having enough power to turn a full scale alternater,just a smaal point.next time you pull upto a scooter at traffic lights, dont filter past it to get off first, stay behind, and watch his back lights,they brighten and dim with each stroke of its little engine,you could almost use it to efficently guage idle speed!and even brand spankers do it, so you tell me that they alll fail there first mot for that?

any way, dont forget, you are always entitled to a second opinion.i had a garage fail my bike for a rear wheel bearing.i got a new one, fitted it, went back failed it.still too loose, i said bollocks and showed him the recept, and the old one in the box.he told me to take it out again, and try dot punching the bearing casing,in the wheel,to take up some of the slack as they can where the housing if they get too loose, so i went home did what he said, took it back,failed it.took it home, dot punched it again, filled holes with solder, to make it even tighter,took it back failed it.took it straight to another tester, sailed through its test
cost me double, but it also cost me about a tank and a half in petrol going back and forth,so i wished id gone to the second guy sooner.

sorry for the rant, but a lesson was to be learnt from that!sometimes a tester will just get a bee in his bonnet about it, and decide he aint gonna pass it

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I charged it to the maximum...and I have just checked it again...its perfect

I cant understand how they can fail it for that though!

its got a 45w headlight a 15w rear light...and then they want it to still be able to pull 10w for the indicators? along with all the other little lights like the dash lights etc....thats starting to pull a bit of juice from such a p**sy little battery!

I am checking all the lights...but I still cant see why it would fail on it....but oh well.....MOTs are full of complete bullsh*t anyway.....
Where the hell did you get a 45watt headlamp? I think mine was a 25/30 or something.

As for your lights getting brighter at around 6k revs, something's wrong there. Your generator should be powering the bike AND charging the battery at 3k revs.

Check that out...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.