125cc Sportsbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hello all, I haven't been on here for ages, used to come on all the time when I just had motocross bikes. Anyhow I thought I would post up the slideshow of my project bike which I've just about finished. I've been building if for a while now.
It's a cr 250 motocross frame, which I have put a crm 250 engine into. Reasons are a hell of allot lighter bike, will go better, look better and will handle off-roading better as well, well worth it in my opinion.
Here is the YouTube link to the slide show I made, only 30% of the pictures I actually took lol: Start to Finish.

Work done:
Completely rebuilt engine
Customized frame to fit engine and re sprayed
Sprayed and cleaned all the little bits and bobs
Replaced nearly every bearing on the bike and rebuilt forks
Bought and modified new style panels to fit (2007)
Sorted out all the wiring
And lots and lots of other things, too much to list.

The bikes in for its MOT next week then it will be ready to run in, after the mot the small plate will be put on and the cr stubby silencer. Then that's it until winter when the supermoto wheels will be modified to fit. Here is a pic of the lovely wheels:

So if anyone is local the lakes, Cumbria. I will be well up for having a ride out over the pass's on the weekends :-D
Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
It's a cr 250 motocross frame, which I have put a crm 250 engine into. Reasons are a hell of allot lighter bike, will go better, look better and will handle off-roading better as well, well worth it in my opinion.

the cr engine is the better engine and the bike wont be any lighter with the crm one in

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whyi s the cr engine better? The cr engine is more powerfull, no better, its also a hell of alot less practical, 5 gears, alot less mpg, and with my experiance, need alot of looking after. Hense the road/enduro bike engine in the bike for the road. Also i meant its a hell of a lot lighter than a crm 250, completly different frame and design. So basically its a lighter crm. Which is why its faster and with handle on and off road alot better.
Jim

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
good work fella

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Is there a lot of work involved in getting the CRM motor to fit? Always fancied doing this conversion myself.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
good work bud, them wheels look ace

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi,
Thanks again for the comments, wasnt too hard to modifiy, just involved changine the mounts to suit, and few brackets here and there. Fairly straight forward, and well worth it in my opinion, Ive had it on the road for nearly a week now, almost run in now. Its surprised me how well it goes, better than i expected, feels good on the road, pull very well, and off the road just feels like my old cr. Amazing how many looks i get and how many people turn around and stare, nobody seems to belive its legal on the road lol.

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Fairly straight forward, and well worth it in my opinion
It's definately something I'd consider doing, the CRM motor provides all the power you'd really need offroad whilst being incredibly reliable and thus practical. Coupled with the CR chassis and running gear would make it handle lovely, a perfect laner imo.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep, well worth doing on my opinion, no doubt. Sorry no pics of the sm wheels fitted, in novemeber the bike will be completly stripped down again, frame either sprayed or powder coated gloss black, and the conversion for the sm wheels will go ahead.

As said the crm engine provides alot or torqe perfect for off-roading, its brilliant on fuel, and very reliable, and with it fitted into the cr frame, you get the lightness of a motocross bike, and the suspension and handling, think with the gearing on it now, the bike is probaly hitting around 90-95mph ish, yet its still got brilliant accelration, very impressed with it.

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Very good thread, nice bike. Are you using the CR tank?

I'm getting a 96CR250, it's in excellent condition, with a new racing exhaust and recently rebuilt engine. I really wanted an enduro bike, but the CR is a very good deal, most of the mods are easily done, however the CR is thirsty and it's fuel tank small, which is a problem for enduro.

The CR holds about 7 liters, while the CRM has 10 (I think). How easily would a CRM tank fit a 96CR? I know I know there a larger tanks made for the CR, but it's impossible for me to find one as I live in Thailand.

Over here labor is cheap, so if i needed to modify the frame to fit a larger tank (not just a CRM) that could be an option.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Very good thread, nice bike. Are you using the CR tank?

I'm getting a 96CR250, it's in excellent condition, with a new racing exhaust and recently rebuilt engine. I really wanted an enduro bike, but the CR is a very good deal, most of the mods are easily done, however the CR is thirsty and it's fuel tank small, which is a problem for enduro.

The CR holds about 7 liters, while the CRM has 10 (I think). How easily would a CRM tank fit a 96CR? I know I know there a larger tanks made for the CR, but it's impossible for me to find one as I live in Thailand.

Over here labor is cheap, so if i needed to modify the frame to fit a larger tank (not just a CRM) that could be an option.
Hi, yeah im still using the stock cr tank, and to be honest it is a pain, like you say it holds very little for long rides. Im not sure wether the crm tank would fit, But looking at the two different frames i would say it will be very easy to make it fit. They look fairly simalar, with the crm tank i am told you carnt fit the cr rad panels, only the standered crm panels will fit.

So i would say it would not be hard at all to make the crm tank fit.Then you would benifit for a bigger fuel capacity and a reserve. You could also maybe get a bigger tank fabricated. Im looking to get a bigger tank now, ive run out of petrol 4 times already :-(

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm looking to get a bigger tank now, ive run out of petrol 4 times already :-(
Running out of fuel in the middle of nowhere wouldn't be fun I'm sure. The CR tanks are around 7.5lts (2 gallons?). There are aftermarket tanks that hold 12 liters, but this is only 2 liters more than the CRM tank and the price is over $200.

As things turn out I won't be getting the CR and am now looking at a CRM. I've heard very mixed reports of these bikes - some say they're great, while others don't what's your opinion?

Also, to do the conversion you did, besides the frame, was there much else that needed to be done? IT's something I may consider. The ppl over here are pretty resourceful, they take old 2 stroke 125s and convert them to dirt bikes.
Before:

After:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Running out of fuel in the middle of nowhere wouldn't be fun I'm sure. The CR tanks are around 7.5lts (2 gallons?). There are aftermarket tanks that hold 12 liters, but this is only 2 liters more than the CRM tank and the price is over $200.

As things turn out I won't be getting the CR and am now looking at a CRM. I've heard very mixed reports of these bikes - some say they're great, while others don't what's your opinion?

Also, to do the conversion you did, besides the frame, was there much else that needed to be done? IT's something I may consider. The ppl over here are pretty resourceful, they take old 2 stroke 125s and convert them to dirt bikes.
Before:

After:
Bloody hell, impressive conversion that
.I think the only modifications i made was to the frame, and they were fairly simple. The crm is a really good bike, still go well just a little heavier but i doubt it will be by much, slightly different suspension but should still be up to the job. Quite popular over here with the greenlaners so must be a good bike.

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bloody hell, impressive conversion that blink.gif
Yes, they look good and are less than $600, which includes a rebuilt motor. If you wanted to buy another old bike as a spare, they are only around $100!

They're locally made, so parts are cheap/easy to find, but best of all anyone in a village can fix it. A complete rebuild is around $70.

The guy with the CRM isn't so keen to sell, while they're great bikes he says they can have problems with the crankshaft and finding parts in Thailand is becoming almost impossible. Decent mechanics are rare also. The other problem is they have been illegally imported and some ppl have had them confiscated. Because he's a friend, he recommended against buying one.

So I think I'll do a conversion, the one below is interested, it's a CR250 frame, with a locally made KR150cc water cooled 2 stroke engine. Price is a negotiable $700.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts