125cc Sportsbikes Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all how many miles to run in a new piston and at what should the revs not go over...The garage I had it done at said don't take it over 6000 and it should be run in around 50 miles..for some reason I don't think this is right..Has anyone please got any information regarding this Cheers Brian

·
Registered
1 Posts
You'll hear a lot of conflicting opinions about running in, it's something of a controversial topic. I suspect what genuinely works for some doesn't necessarily work so well for others, as clearly what the engine is going to tolerate during running in will be affected by your specific riding habits, the components used, riding conditions etc.

If in doubt, stick to what Aprilia themselves recommend - they designed and built the bike after all. Down the line, you'll probably get an idea of what you can 'get away with' in terms of running in your bike.

Aprilia say:

• For the first 800km, never exceed 6000rpm.
  • 800-1600km, stay under 9000. Ride more briskly, change speed often, use the bikes full acceleration only for a few seconds at a time.
  • After 1600km keep it under the 11,000rpm red-line.

·
Premium Member
11,719 Posts
do it by 3 heat cycles :never let me down this way :

1. warm up to operating temp then switch off and let cool down to 0

2. again as above ^^^

3. warm up to operating temp go for ride for 15 mins not going in to the power band at different throttle positions alternating the throttle from qtr to half to full then park up let cool down

4. warm up to temp get on ride it like you stole it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You'll hear a lot of conflicting opinions about running in, it's something of a controversial topic. I suspect what genuinely works for some doesn't necessarily work so well for others, as clearly what the engine is going to tolerate during running in will be affected by your specific riding habits, the components used, riding conditions etc.

If in doubt, stick to what Aprilia themselves recommend - they designed and built the bike after all. Down the line, you'll probably get an idea of what you can 'get away with' in terms of running in your bike.

Aprilia say:

• For the first 800km, never exceed 6000rpm.
  • 800-1600km, stay under 9000. Ride more briskly, change speed often, use the bikes full acceleration only for a few seconds at a time.
  • After 1600km keep it under the 11,000rpm red-line.
Done to 50 miles on it and now consider it run in I think the mechanic did say it was a coated barrel

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
do it by 3 heat cycles :never let me down this way :

1. warm up to operating temp then switch off and let cool down to 0

2. again as above ^^^

3. warm up to operating temp go for ride for 15 mins not going in to the power band at different throttle positions alternating the throttle from qtr to half to full then park up let cool down

4. warm up to temp get on ride it like you stole it
All gd so far...I'm just now having problems with it keeping to a steady tick over rate it's like as if when I put the revs on it want to cut out

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I will I do recall the mechanic saying that he had put a different spark plug in br10eg I think Ive always used br8es

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers...just wondering what it could be that's making it not idle properly I've noticed when I take it out of the garage and roll it backwards onto the drive to the front of the house and as I turn the steering it idles even less like as if it's something to do with a cable but there's only one as I know of and that's the cable from the revs

·
Premium Member
11,719 Posts
Cheers...just wondering what it could be that's making it not idle properly I've noticed when I take it out of the garage and roll it backwards onto the drive to the front of the house and as I turn the steering it idles even less like as if it's something to do with a cable but there's only one as I know of and that's the cable from the revs

thats 100 % choke cable check the play
mine done this

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know the revs cable goes into the top of the carb does the choke go in the side of the carb

1 - 13 of 13 Posts