125cc Sportsbikes Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've recently bought a Gilera DNA 125 which I plan to strip and re-spray myself. I understand it takes alot of time and patience but as a woman I have patience as standard (haha) and am looking forward to spending my weekends in my garage working on her. I have a rough idea of the process and figured I've been painting my nails for years it can't be that different :p ha, only joking.

I'm off to Halfords tomorrow to buy the various sandpapers/primers etc. needed but I was just wondering if anyone on here has done this before? I've got the Haynes manual and of course trusty YouTube as a guide but if anyone can offer any tips they'll be greatly appreciated!

She's been modded to go faster then standard and the previous owner was a bit of a rudenut boy racer so she's had some sports mods including a Scorpion exhaust.

I've only ridden her up and down the road as she needs new tyres, brake pads and brake levers but she goes like a demon compared to my YBR!

Thank you in advance :)

·
Tard Wrangler
5,735 Posts
I hate to say it, but asking for scooter help on here is like logging in to a vegan forum and asking for the best way to cook baby bunnies.

·
Premium Member
9,148 Posts
t*ts or gtfo?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've got a YBR aswell, I'm not a complete scooter noob

The DNA is just a Winter project tbh, something to do and like I said she goes like a demon! She's going to be alot of fun once I've got her looking pretty.

·
Tard Wrangler
5,735 Posts
t*ts or gtfo?
That's an official forum record, nobody has ever gotten that post in within five minutes of the OP before.

Anyway, back on topic...

The same method used to paint fairings applies to scooter bodywork, and preparation is the key. You'll need a few packs of fine, super fine and ultra fine wet and dry paper, high build primer suitable for plastic, colour, and laquer. Loads of guides around to help, but the first thing to say is it's WAY to cold to spray anything right now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does the temperature affect the paint then?!

I have a rough shopping list, although I won't be getting the paint from Halfords as it's pants.

sandpaper:

600 grit
800 grit
1200 grit

primer

paint

laquer

rubbing compound

buffing rags/a polisher

·
Tard Wrangler
5,735 Posts
Very much. The solvents in the paint need heat to evaporate. At these temperatures, the paint just won't dry properly.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Does the temperature affect the paint then?!

I have a rough shopping list, although I won't be getting the paint from Halfords as it's pants.

sandpaper:

600 grit
800 grit
1200 grit

primer

paint

laquer

rubbing compound

buffing rags/a polisher
Starting with 600 grit!? f*ck me you will be there for ages! its more like

180 (to get rid of the Damage)

Primer the damage areas (not the whole thing)

then rub down primer with

Degrease

Paint

Laquer

de-nib (with 1500)

Polish (Compound)

Thats a basic guide but i wouldnt recommend doing a whole respray by yourself but its up to you...

Stuff like spraying can go wrong very quickly if you dont do it properly

Send me a PM if you need more info or encounter any problems

·
Registered
327 Posts
Depending on the type of paint you dont nessery need heat to cue paint... Solvents evaporate at any tempreture they just take longer to dry...

We had to leave a car dry over night due to us running out of fuel for the burner the temp in the workshop was close to ouside temp (like 2C) and the finnish was the same as if we heated the spary bay up

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the advice!

My Dad's going to be helping me, he's a mechanic and been around cars/bikes all his life etc. and a few of my pals have offered to lend a hand so it shouldn't be too much drama.

Will def. give you a shout if I need any help, thanks :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts