125cc Sportsbikes Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
901 Posts
Position the EGT closer. It should be as close to the piston but preferably within 10cm. The temp goes down very quickly. if its in <10cm range, you can use 650C as your max safe temp, when its 15-20cm than it could be as low as 550-580 a max safe, and have piston melting at 600C measured EGT. Also I hope you are running a fast response EGT

Very nice exhaust build by the way. who did it ?

· Premium Member
11,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m seeing 1150 f at 150mm from piston
I had to upjet from 155 to 160 to get it cooler
Yes fast response open tip probe
I had Fernando in spain make it for me
I am Currently playing with ignition maps with it
He also makes a copy of a jolly moto sp111

Wallapop_US - Fernando N.

Wallapop

· Registered
901 Posts
Temp is the max I would use. Watch it newer get higher! At 150mm distance its already cooled.

Be careful with ignition. Smaller advance or retard will raise youre EGT, higher advance will increase your peak cylinder temp and will lower the EGT !

This is why EGT is not used for tuning but for checking if everything is running ok after a tune has been established and relevant temperatures "memorised"

The only good measure of piston temp is at the bottom side of piston crown, and is also dependant on type of oil used and mixing ratio.Castor can tolerate the highest temps and will show its OK untill the highest temp of a piston, ester syntetic a little less, "full syntetic" like motul 710 les and so on until minneral.
Ie the oil that you use and mix ratio will determine the maximal safe piston temperature. If you change it .... You get the idea.

Now after the temp for your oil has ben determined on the EGT based on piston. Than you can compensate for elevation and temp change by watching the EGT. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts