125cc Sportsbikes Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys is anyone from around trhe guildford area can help with changeing some seals.

i sold a bike to a guy, he came to look at it, rode it, looked around it some more and agreed a price chucked it in the van and left.

now, 4 days later hes on the phone telling me that

gear / front sprocket seals leaking
water pump seal leaking

these are what the garage has told him from his description.

anyway one garage wont touch it due to the age of the bike and another has quoted him around ?200 per job, meaning after both jobs are done hes gonna have nearly paid for the bike twice.

anyway even though i did all the jobs and got it MOT'd etc hes now asking me to chip in with him (i already sold it at a large loss). dont get me wrong i liked the guy and feel sorry for him but surely this isnt my responsibility???

we made a sold as seen reciept AFTER he examined it AND although he purchased it on ebay i asked him to ride it examine it and only pay if he was happy (even though by ebay rules he was commited).

finally i was completely unaware of any such problems or i would of been straight on here asking why there was a small oil leak, why the water had turned a greyish colour etc.

so 2 things,

where do i stand on him coming back to me?
and does anyone live round that area that could help him with these seals (i ask as i said i would look into it for him as the seals are peanuts but the labour is extortionate)

thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,474 Posts
fella if i were you i would tell him that it is not your problem any more, he saw the bike and bought it.

If i read right he also made a sold as seen receipt, what could possibly be clearer than that?

what ever you do dont take the bike back!

sorry to hear about your problems, i hope it is sorted quickly

Greg

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
as im a nice guy i was seriously thinking of chipping and helping the guy a little but after the phone call i just made he cn f*ck right off.

heres the deal,

it definately needs a waterpump seal.
and it needs agear shaft seal OR a front sprocket seal.

hers a price of the seals for the local yamaha dealer in lincoln.
gear seal ?3-4
front sprocket seal ?6
water pump seal ?15

labour to do ALL (yes all the seals) 1.5 hours ?70.50 including VAT.

obviously the f*cker is telling me ?400 i say no way am i going halves but i will put ?100 towards it and well guess what i've covered the whole cost.. the cheeky b*st*rd!!

apparantly 2 of the seals can just be popped out and another pushed in for sure, and the third may need the engine stripped (dont ask me which ones as i was to busy steaming by this point and wasnt paying a lot of attention) although i asked them if this was worse case price and he said 'yep this will cover if it needs a minor strip down.

truth be told i am god damn livid at this cheeky c*nts attitude!

·
Registered
100 Posts
You sold the bike as sold as seen, so therefore it becomes his problem not yours, its upto the buyer to inspect the bike thoroughly and once a receipt stating sold as seen is issued there is nothing he can do to make you pay for future repairs, since legally the bike doesnt belong to you anymore. It has an mot therefore is considered roadworthy. So be nice but state you were unaware of the seals minor failure but his repair quote of 400 notes is beyond belief, its not that hard a job and also can be done without removing the engine,so therefore a average price would be about 150 tops! Hold onto your guns dude and tell him that you have offered 50 quid as a gesture, take it or leave it but its not really your problem, You cant tell if the waterpump oil seal is leaking, its behind a metal cover, and the gear shaft seal is a bit more different butt if you cant see this seal because there is an engine casing covering the actual seal. So as you can see he couldnt possibly see it so why should he expect you to of noticed it.hope this helps a bit my friend

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
There's an ancient latin phrase, which roughly translates to "buyer beware".

He paid for it, his problem!

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
tell him if he aint happy you'll take it back for 300

·
Lives The Skinhead Life
3,394 Posts
mate hes trying to take you for a ride tell him to either spend ?15 quid and get a Haynes manual or just f*ck off not your problem dude

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Any update Lydanial?

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He actually said he was going to ring me on Thursday/Friday evening to discuss it (as he was taking it to the bike shop for them to look at it and to get an exact quote).

Hes never phoned me since and I sure as hell aint phoning him up encouraging him!

Maybe the bike shop told him it was only ?100 tops for the lot and he realised I'm not a mug and was going to check it out myself, discovering that he was bullsh*tting me.

Anyway I've not heard from him but when I do I will be mentioning hes a twat! Oh and I'll let you all know what he's trying next!

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Damn Straight!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.