125cc Sportsbikes Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have a Gilera SP02 125cc 2 stroke which i have rebuilt the motor, The bike was standing for a few years and i have managed to get it push started,
Problem is once it starts its Idling very High for about 2 minutes then seems to cut off, After about a minute or 2 i can push start it again,

I have Cleaned the carbs with carb cleaner and made sure all the jets are clean.
Changing the Air screw on the carb does not help the idling,
When i put the carb in (and also adjusting the throttle cable tension) the throttle needle was slight bent which i have tried to straighten and seems to slide into the jet pretty easily and leaving a little gap on the throttle slide.

Im not the most mechanical person so i will appreciate any help, Im thinking its more likely the throttle needle needs replacing. Doubt the dead battery would cause it die when its running?

any anyone can advise me in what to look for or try?
Thank you

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
air leaks. Spray a load or wd40 around the carb manifolds whilst its idling, and if revs drop its an airleak

·
Registered
519 Posts
Are your floats working correctly in the bowl ?

could also be your fuel isn't flowing quick enough from the tank, possibly due to an air lock. Try running without the cap on to see if that helps.

more likely to be an air leak though..

·
Does not know Everything !
14,526 Posts
Have you tried the idle speed adjuster ?

·
Registered
769 Posts
In your question is your answer buddy, if the needle is bent, it will be partially blocking one side of the tube it goes into, this will slow down fuel going into the carb, therefore running very lean, and increasing the revs. However, if it isnt this that is causing the high revs at idle, i'd definately say that it's running lean, hence the high revs at idle. I would add that you dont want to be riding it with a bent needle, as the problem it causes can mean running very lean at high revs, therefore more likely to seize. For the sake of a couple of quid, get the needle changed, you know that it's not right, fix that, then work from there would be my advice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts