125cc Sportsbikes Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm going to be respraying my bike but i have never done this before so I have a few questions.

As its a plastic fairing do i need to prime it?

I want a matt finish, is there a type of laquar that does this or do you just not use the it in this case?

Ta!

·
Registered
519 Posts
You gonna use aerosol for the full job ? or a compressor ?

I'd say, obviously with a compressor, its cheaper to buy the materials you need. I ended up getting a compressor because I found aerosols were just working out too expensive for each bike I bought. I found a compressor realistically pays for itself within 3 bikes if you include the time taken learning to use the equipment and experimenting with different materials and techniques.

To start, I'd key the plastics with a bit of 600 - 800 grit wet and dry.

Then bang your primer on, wet and dry with 800. I've used a basic primer on plastics and it was fine, IMO no need to chase specific primers for plastics.

The top coat is up to you. If you want a matt finish, I'd buy a coat which is petrol resistant and doesn't need a lacquer. Halfords do matt, but not sure if its petrol resistant. Top coat I would finish with maybe a 1500 grit wet and dry. I've found 1-2 coats of lacquer used sparingly keeps the finish matt, but does give a bit more protection.

I always add 4-5 layers of lacquer afterwards simply because I prefer the finish and it also adds a couple of layers of protection. I commute on most of my bikes so need it to have a resilient finish.

This works for me as a decent DIY finish. Some people do this professionally so will offer more advice, but for me, this works as a cheap alternative.

Timewise, you need the minimum of full day, maybe a weekend. I haven't a spraying booth, so I do it out in the garden. I'd suggest taking your time and making sure between coats you leave 10 - 15 minutes, but between primer and topcoat, you leave a couple of hours. This helps when you sand it back with 800 or 1500 grit paper.

Some people give lacquer 5 full days to set, whatever I say, give it 24 hours. Job Done. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
you can get matt laquer.

You won't need to prime the plastics if they're in very good condition, but high build primer might help if you have any light stone chips etc. If you do repairs you'll need to etch prime then high build. You can heat up primer so it sets faster between coats with maybe a hair dryer or heat gun just sort've wafting in front to direct warm air, i use heat lamps. You'll need to leave the primer to set overnight. Or you can bake it but this would require heat lamps. I'm guessing your taking the fairings etc off and doing them indoors somewhere so obviously keep the air circulating and newspapers etc everywhere so you dont get any overspray. Its important that when you laquer that you wear a mask. Unless you have a well ventilated area. (not advised but i wear specs so they steam up in a mask :p) Good luck and the rest just follow what gsteel said :p

·
Registered
28 Posts
you can get matt laquer.

You won't need to prime the plastics if they're in very good condition, but high build primer might help if you have any light stone chips etc. If you do repairs you'll need to etch prime then high build. You can heat up primer so it sets faster between coats with maybe a hair dryer or heat gun just sort've wafting in front to direct warm air, i use heat lamps. You'll need to leave the primer to set overnight. Or you can bake it but this would require heat lamps. I'm guessing your taking the fairings etc off and doing them indoors somewhere so obviously keep the air circulating and newspapers etc everywhere so you dont get any overspray. Its important that when you laquer that you wear a mask. Unless you have a well ventilated area. (not advised but i wear specs so they steam up in a mask :p) Good luck and the rest just follow what gsteel said :p
wouldn't you need to use plastic primer on the plastic although you are rubbing it still might flake off wouldn't it

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
If its scotchbritted properly it wont flake off. Well I've only ever painted 2 panels, Mudgaurd and rear fairing. The rear fairing had polyester in so I had to prime that but I just left the mudgaurd without primer and it stayed on fine. Putting primer on wouldn't hurt though :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts