125cc Sportsbikes Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, ive had a tzr125 sitting in various places, including outside, for a while which im interesting in starting again. I must say i regret neglecting it for so long but apart from changing the Petrol and perhaps the sparkplug can anyone give me any tips or ideas to get it started again?

Thanks very much!

·
Registered
6,817 Posts
change petrol.

check oil.

change air filter.

change spark plug and check for a spark (put plug against engine and kick it over)

use the choke.

clean fuel filter

after a few kicks should start up.

mine was stood for 2 years b4 the previous owner got it. it still works. minus the failed mot....

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
to be on the safe side i would take the barrel off, and pour a little oil into the crankcase, only a dribble tho,and then if it needs it just wipe an oiled rag around the bore.just to make sure that it has enough lubrication when it first starts.not a must, but may help long term.

may also need to clean out the carb, as when left, petrol can leave gummy deposits,which can block pipes and jets.if you do have anydeposits, just clean with fresh petrol and a small brush

if it doesnt go 3rd kick,dont waste time carrying on kicking it, just bump start it down the road

·
Registered
612 Posts
Id do the same as tzr freak said except i would take the barrel off id just pour it in the plug hole then gently kick it over with ignition turned off a couple of times.....

deffo clean the carb as well....

Jas

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
if you just take the sparkplug out, you wont get any extra oil to the big end and crank, which is the important part.if you stick it inn throught he spark plug hole, you will only lubricate the cylinder and the inside of the exhaust

·
Registered
612 Posts
Then while i had the carb of for a cleaning id pour it in the the reed intake
lol
good point though m8

Jas

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
its not a difficult to take the barrel off, and if the bike has been stood for a while,i would like to make sure that everything is ok.while youve got the barrel off you could also touch up the transfer ports,if you are into a bit of diy

·
Registered
163 Posts
agreed oil in crankase is good idea but if you take barrel of you need new base gasket and possilby head gasket depending on how you do it, if you pop the reads out you can dribble 2t oil in there and should be ok as i dont (think) there are any gaskets there, clean carb while your there aswell

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.