125cc Sportsbikes Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

· Registered
101 Posts
Got one of those magnet on a stick thingys?
Try and fish it out if you do
Eventually got one of those telescopic magnets..but even that didnt work..since the front bit keeps sticking to other parts of the engine that is made of metal..

The engine would probably need to get stripped I guess..unless I drain the oil again (Just chucked the old oil back in the bike for time being) but this time remove the strainer as well.

· Registered
62 Posts
Nice guide, just did my first ever valve check/adjust a couple of days ago. Both were too tight.
Why is my engine all scratched up under the valve cover? I was expecting nice smooth oilyness but it looks all gouged and sh*t.
Bike is going like sh*t, won't do more than 55mph

· Registered
1,462 Posts
Yes the cam holder is meant to be all stuffed like that. I had to buy a new one and it was like that too

· Registered
1,462 Posts
Is that for the rocker cover?
If so, yeah its a balls ache, I just use a ratchet and Allen key bit, makes it a whole lot quicker

· Registered
318 Posts
I have adjusted my valves a couple of times now, first time because it had never been done and the second after the bike had been dropped and you could hear the valves. Problem is after last time I adjusted them, it sounds like they have become loose straight away on the exhaust one and for the first time ever the bikes started to kick out white smoke. I have checked that its not pulling coolant into the engine, there are no bubbles forming in the radiator and the gasket looks fine. I have not ridden it anywhere as I don't want to do any damage to the piston or anything else for that matter so if anyone has any suggestions on what could be causing it i'm all ears.

· Registered
122 Posts
I have checked there but I don't fancy paying £5 delivery for 2x nut.
£5 for delivery?!?!?!? THAT'S NUTS!! (sorry, couldn't resist...). I'd hate to see how much they want to send it overseas!

However, there has to be a cheaper delivery option! Mind you, when ever I look at used parts for the CBR125R on eBay or other bike breakers, they seem to be WAY over priced and that's before delivery. It's like they (the sellers) are just trying to squeeze every penny they can out of us (the owners).

I mean how much can a simple padded envelope and a stamp cost?!?!?!

If you can get the old nut off, take it to a local auto shop and see if they can size it up. Then it's just a matter of getting one that is of the same hardness grade (or harder).

· Registered
718 Posts
£5 for delivery?!?!?!? THAT'S NUTS!! (sorry, couldn't resist...). I'd hate to see how much they want to send it overseas!

However, there has to be a cheaper delivery option! Mind you, when ever I look at used parts for the CBR125R on eBay or other bike breakers, they seem to be WAY over priced and that's before delivery. It's like they (the sellers) are just trying to squeeze every penny they can out of us (the owners).

I mean how much can a simple padded envelope and a stamp cost?!?!?!

If you can get the old nut off, take it to a local auto shop and see if they can size it up. Then it's just a matter of getting one that is of the same hardness grade (or harder).

Ive been to a few car shops with a new tappet to size it up but nowhere does them because the pitch is really small.

Im trying to get the correct dimensions so I can ebay it or get off a general nut/bolt website.

· Registered
12 Posts
Hey Folks.

I have been giving this ago this evening, and I am stuck trying to figure out how to get the valve cover out. In all of the videos on YouTube, they seem to not show this part. Do you take it out through the top (where the gas tank is), or through that narrow spot by the radiator?

The trouble with taking it out through the top is that there is a huge coolant hose on a 90 degree angle right in the way, and while it does move somewhat, it doesn't make much added room even if you really push it aside. I don't want to have the cover half off and be mashing the valves/cam chain while I'm trying to figure out the best way to get the cover out. If anyone has any suggestions for the ergonomics of this process, I'd be forever grateful!

Currently in my garage, but I'll add a photo to this post to show what I mean once I'm back in the house.

Cheers.

· Registered
718 Posts
Hey Folks.

I have been giving this ago this evening, and I am stuck trying to figure out how to get the valve cover out. In all of the videos on YouTube, they seem to not show this part. Do you take it out through the top (where the gas tank is), or through that narrow spot by the radiator?

The trouble with taking it out through the top is that there is a huge coolant hose on a 90 degree angle right in the way, and while it does move somewhat, it doesn't make much added room even if you really push it aside. I don't want to have the cover half off and be mashing the valves/cam chain while I'm trying to figure out the best way to get the cover out. If anyone has any suggestions for the ergonomics of this process, I'd be forever grateful!

Currently in my garage, but I'll add a photo to this post to show what I mean once I'm back in the house.

Cheers.
The radiator has to come off if you want it to move easily.

· Registered
12 Posts
The radiator has to come off if you want it to move easily.
Do you mean completely? I have loosened the 10mm bolt and moved the radiator forward about an inch and a half. From a lot of the DIYs, (including the service manual), this is all that is necessary. If I can avoid it, I'd rather not disconnect coolant hoses and then get stuck draining coolant, and potentially having an air bubble / pain in the ass.

It appears that some people are able to take out the valve cover without removing the "middle fairing", but others do so. I guess that will be my next attempt unless anyone has any other suggestions.

Oh, and here is the promised photo:

21 - 40 of 56 Posts