125cc Sportsbikes Forum banner

Valve Clearance Check

52K views 55 replies 29 participants last post by  Stumpus27 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Been setting the valve clearances tonight and took some pics along the way to give some tips. Getting the Haynes manual is definitely recommended, it's a brilliant guide but here are a few more pics to give an idea of what to expect.

Disconnecting the temperature sensor gives a bit more play to move the radiator out the way:

Covers off:

Linty the T mark up:

And the line on the cam sprocket will be parallel with the top of the head:

Checking the exhaust valve:

And the Inlet valve:

Needed adjusting. It's a bit tight so I took the screwdriver bit from my impact driver set (awesome tool) and put a spanner on it. Another spanner on the lock nut and adjust away. Did the job.

Don't forget to check the clearances again after tightening the lock nut and make sure everything is clean before reassembly.

See less See more
#3 ·
Very impressive, nice and clear description and good quality pictures. Definitely sticky worthy.

#14 ·
Would It be Possible for someone just to clear out certain "questions" regarding doing the valve clearance.

-What tools does one need to do it all from scratch. (All the tools)
-Is there a "rubber seal" (I would believe that there should be one) that needs to be replaced (get a new one) or "IF" there is one,can it be reused.
-Is it Necessary to loosen and move the Radiator in order to get more space in order to do this. (Or can it be done,if you have smallish hands..LOL)

Thank you btw for the advice and Pics that has been provided.

#15 ·
-Is it Necessary to loosen and move the Radiator in order to get more space in order to do this. (Or can it be done,if you have smallish hands..LOL)
It's not strictly necessary but in my opinion it is much easier and quicker to move it than it is to try and do it without. It's for tool space as much as hand space. One of the pieces advice I have been given is always give yourself room to work. It generally does pay off, it's better to spend a little time preparing for a job than a long time struggling with it.

#16 ·
id agree with DEP. seal can be reused and some gasket gunk will make sure its sealed (if you've got some already)

and moving the radiator is a good idea. its very tight and fiddly at the best of times - you dont need the rad in the way too.

#18 ·
Try to do the Clearance today..to No avail (Just caused more probs for myself...
)

Everything went well,and the Pictures,steps and procedures helped a lot that has been explained above.

The crap part came in,that the space that you work in/with is really TIGHT

I did the exhaust valve perfectly,till I got to the Intake valve,where I f**ked it up..
I tried to use the my impact drill bit,to hold the screw,while tightening the bolt underneath it,which made me end up letting the drill bit slip,and fell into the "engine"..I cant see the bit anywhere from the top (must have dropped down to the bottom I guess)

Is there any advice that you guys could give me in order to get it out,before I need to take it to my local Bike garage and let them strip it down to remove the freaking drill bit.??

Cheers btw.

#21 ·
Got one of those magnet on a stick thingys?
Try and fish it out if you do
Eventually got one of those telescopic magnets..but even that didnt work..since the front bit keeps sticking to other parts of the engine that is made of metal..

The engine would probably need to get stripped I guess..unless I drain the oil again (Just chucked the old oil back in the bike for time being) but this time remove the strainer as well.

#29 ·
I have adjusted my valves a couple of times now, first time because it had never been done and the second after the bike had been dropped and you could hear the valves. Problem is after last time I adjusted them, it sounds like they have become loose straight away on the exhaust one and for the first time ever the bikes started to kick out white smoke. I have checked that its not pulling coolant into the engine, there are no bubbles forming in the radiator and the gasket looks fine. I have not ridden it anywhere as I don't want to do any damage to the piston or anything else for that matter so if anyone has any suggestions on what could be causing it i'm all ears.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.